Chapter 30: Friendships

Start from the beginning

“So, you’ve kept us in the dark for this long?” I exclaimed, though not really angry. I was just being dramatic.

By the look on her face, she knew it too so she rolled her eyes and said, “It’s easier with less people involved. So are you guys willing to help? We need to make a reservation by Sunday but tonight we were going to check out the place we had in mind.”

Reluctantly, I agreed to pitch in and soon, I was back to going to my dorm. Today was Friday and tomorrow, I still had my date with Luke. The closer to the date I got, the more anxious I became. There was no way I was ready for a relationship…yet, I deserved to have fun.

And, I wasn’t obligated to stay alone forever. 

With that thought in mind, I fell asleep and was yet again pulled into a deep, dreamless slumber.

The next day, I woke up from something tingling in my wrist. I looked down and realized I was still wearing the bracelet that Blaze had left me, along with the one my mother had also. 

What if this bracelet was meant to track me?

Thinking that made a shiver run through me. I was pretty sure this bracelet was like my shield. Either way, I had to talk to Blaze about it whether I wanted to or not.

Why was my life so complicated?

I spent most of the day hanging out with Rachel and Katt. I knew Aura was out planning for the party and invitations so it was best if we all just stayed behind to not cause suspicion. Nonetheless, neither of them heard about Luke.

“Yeah, we’ve never seen him around,” Rachel said, frowning at her already cold coffee.

Katt looked puzzled. “His name sounds familiar, I just can’t place it.”

“Well, I’ll make sure to tell you how our date goes,” I said, taking a sip of my tea.

This caused both Rachel and Katt to look at me in surprise. I’d asked them about Kyle, but I never said I was going to go out with him. By the look on their faces, I could already tell they were going to lecture me.

“You guys, please don’t--,” I started, frowning.

Rachel exclaimed, “How can you date someone just after a relationship with one of our best friends?”

“And you said you weren’t ready to date,” Katt pointed out, taking a large bite of her banana nut muffin.

“You hurt him,” Rachel grumbled, putting down her coffee.

For some odd reason, their words hurt me. Anger flushed through me as I felt the need to defend myself. “I get to decide whenever I want to date. And Drake could handle it, I only dated him for a day.”

“Yeah, and flirting with him doesn’t mean anything,” Rachel muttered, glaring at the table.

Scoffing, I stood up and said, “You don’t even know what happened between us. I don’t need any lecturing from you guys.”

“But Raven--,” Katt started, ready to follow me.

I glared at her. “Just leave me alone.”

I stomped out of The Café and suddenly felt the need to punch something. I didn’t notice until then that my hands were shaking, goosebumps on my arm. I was confused as to why I was so angry about nothing.

All they were trying to do was defend Drake, and truthfully, if I was in their position, I would’ve said the same thing. What is going on with me?

By the time I got into my dorm, my phone was buzzing against my leg. Without bothering to look at the caller ID, I answered with a solemn, “Hello?”