Chapter 22: River of Tears

Sleeping and eating nothing but soup for a full day was a nightmare. I swear my stomach felt like it was going to break from all of the water I drank as well as the soup. Drake made sure I was tortured with that as he came in every two hours to give me medication and water. For lunch and dinner I had broccoli and cheddar soup—which isn’t as good when it is in a can.

At one point he had forced me to go pee by standing outside of the door for forty minutes until he could hear it so that I could drink more water!

Glaring at his hand as he fed me my last bit of soup, I slowly swallowed it then smacked his hand away from my face. I definitely didn’t like being fed soup by some guy who was staring at me cockily. I didn’t give him the satisfactory of victory as I refused to eat the last of what he made.

I’m still surprised that my bladder didn’t burst from the amount of water I consumed.

“Drake, no it’s too much,” I grumbled, pushing away the spoon. By now my face was sweating and I swore I had a fever. I couldn’t even think things straight anymore because of what happened. I knew me being sick didn’t help at all and all I wanted was to go to school to study for the test I had in Forensics. Even though I had no school today, I doubted Drake would let me go to school tomorrow with how sick I felt today.

He glared back at me. “You need to drink lots of fluids and soup.”

“Yeah, but I had enough! I already drank like 6 pints of water,” I stated, trying to look as non-sick as possible.

Shaking his head, he bit his lip—probably trying to bite back a smirk as he said, “You have not. You haven’t even peed more than four times today. With the amount of water in your system, it should have flushed out quicker.”

“Since when did you become a doctor?”

“Since when did you become such an instigator?” he retorted.

I gasped. “I am not! I am just asking.”

Drake fake coughed into his hand and muttered, “Instigator.”

Wow, what an immature boy! Narrowing my eyes at his pathetic use of insults, I turned on my back and was just about to get up when Drakes arm pulled me back to the bed, tucking me in pretty tight.

Surprised at the sudden movement, I looked up into Drake’s teasing eyes as he cocked an eyebrow. “You need to sleep more.”

“I’ve slept enough,” I protested, slapping my palm against the mattress.

“No, I am going to leave now but promise me you will sleep,” he ordered, looking into me with a cautious expression.

I softened my glare at him and puffed. “Fine, but only because you were so helpful today.”

“I’ve got one more thing to ask,” he said softly, walking towards me and leaning above me.

I was left breathless as he pecked my cheek. I felt guilt fill me as I remembered about the date I went on with him then the one with Blaze. I didn’t feel the same heart throbbing sensation with Drake but there was something there.

“Yes?” I asked, looking into his golden eyes.

He kissed my check again but letting his lips linger there for a while. He murmured against my cheek, “Will you go steady with me?”

I stopped breathing as I realized what he just asked. Did I really want to go steady with him, especially after what happened with Blaze? For some reason, I found myself saying, “Yes.”