Chapter 29: Confessions and Confusions

My heart beat quickened as I was escorted down the hall. There were two other vampires that looked twice my size, faces blank. I guess they are used to giving other people privacy while being so close to them. I hoped his room was across the whole building.  I wasn’t ready for this.

I was only doing this now because my mother said there was more to the story than what I heard.

I hoped she was right yet at the same time I hoped she wasn’t. I wanted her to be wrong so that I no longer have to talk to him or worry about him. But at the same time, I hoped she was right because I liked Blaze.

Yes, I finally admitted it to myself.

I liked the arrogant prick. 

Not in the school girl crush way, but the ‘I’d do anything to keep you safe’ type crush. He betrayed me and that hurt more than anything. I didn’t want to be vulnerable to that kind of pain. But, no matter how I felt, I couldn’t tell him. There is so much he could do to me if he knew. 

I just had to keep it a secret.

Before I knew it, I was standing in front of a door that I knew lead to the person who I didn’t want to see the most.

“Uh, can I have some privacy?” I told the guards.

There was one thing I knew for sure, if he ever tried to hurt me, I had the capability to defend myself. 

The guards looked at each other hesitantly before nodding and walking down to the end of the hall. There wasn’t any windows or anything, but I had no doubt there was a camera hidden in there.

Letting out a long breath, I opened the door slightly and slid inside the room. I can see Blaze laying on the bed, head propped up as he stared at the floor. When I entered, I could see his eyes flicker to me before they looked back down.

“Blaze,” I said, no emotion in my voice.

There was no answer.

I sighed and pulled a chair up to the bed. “Blaze, will you please tell me the whole story?”

He looked a little shocked at my open-minded question. It took a lot of me to say just that statement that I had to say it through gritted teeth. More than anything I wanted to slam stuff at him and scream in his face.

But I didn’t do any of that.

Blaze rolled his eyes as he said bitterly, “Sweetheart, there is nothing else to say. I watched you for a while and I was only following orders. You were a mission to get over with.”

I felt my jaw clench. “Bullshit.”

“You can disagree all you want, but it’s the cold hard truth,” he hissed venomously.

What I did next surprised both him and me. I reached over and touched where his heart should’ve been. It was the coldest part of his body, and he’d used it to make me believe he was a vampire when we first met.

He froze at the touch. I said slowly, “Inside of here, there is no heart. And I know you are trying to prove that with what you insist on saying. But I know you enough to know that you hate being a vampire, because you have no heart. You want to know what I think? I think you have a heart, and even if it’s anatomically impossible, I’ve seen it.”

Blaze just looked at me and that was the moment I saw how vulnerable he was. He wanted me to believe he was a monster. And sure, I was mad as hell at him. But I needed him to know he wasn’t a monster, no matter what he says.

“I am a monster, and I deserve to be in jail for what I have put you through,” he said, looking into my eyes painfully.

I brought my hand to my side as I said, “No, you don’t. I want the truth, Blaze. Tell me the truth.”