My Punishment

Monday.

I'm afraid I have to go out with this huge bruise on my left cheek. It is noticeable and I can't explain why it is injured.

I walk around the halls, and I can feel their stares focusing towards me.

"Was she abused again?"
"Why doesn't she tell an adult?"
"Or just someone to help her at least?"
"Is she a masochist?"
"Her mother should really stop."

Stop. Please just stop. Please..

"When will you think she will ask for help?"
"Maybe never."

Stop.... Stop!!!

I cover my ears and dashed towards my classroom. Unfortunately, I accidentally bumped into the reason why my mother is really mad at me. She even planned to disown me, but couldn't tell me the exact reason why she's mad...

"Asano..." I whispered. Suddenly, his figure blurred within my eyesight. I placed my hand on my face and I was surprised that there were already tears flowing out of my eyes. When I looked at Asano, he was already grinding his teeth together. A vein popped up from his head, and his eyes are like a dog's, glaring at anyone who's around us.

"Who made you cry?" His voice is dry and coarse, he cracks his knuckles, readying himself for a battle. He wasn't looking at me, his eyes are narrow and focused, searching for a suspicious person. "Who did that to you?!" He followed up.

"Asano, no!" I tugged his arm and kept on holding it tightly. I panicked. I know what he's capable of, but I don't want him to do something that might also ruin his relationship with his father. If he does something as reckless as this, his father might-- might-- "It was no one! I did this to myself. Please don't do anything reckless!"

His eyes gradually widen up, and his strength is slowly decreasing. His bloodlust just now disappeared in an instant.

"What... did you say?" His lips trembled as he asked. "Why... would you do such a thing?"

"I lied."

He stopped. Although he did not become the monster he was like before, he is somehow slightly angry about it.

"It was my mom. I can't figure out the real reason why she got angry at me, but I think it's related to you." I finally confessed, even if I am hesitating a bit. I am scared of what kind of response he'll tell me. I bite my lower lip in anticipation.

"Should I stop being your tutor then?" He asked non-hesitantly.

Surprised, I just stand. My shocked eyes meeting his calm ones. Although I don't want to be treated as an idiot, I still want him to stay by my side every dismissal time, until dusk. Even though the classroom is empty, dark, quiet, if I can be with Asano, then everything's fine.

I meekly shake my head. My eyes stare at the ground. "I'm going to think of another way."

"Another way? How? I thought you also hated this idea." Asano really is persistent, isn't he?

I grabbed his hands and stared at his stupid freaking violet eyes and raised my voice, "I hated the idea of you being my private tutor because other people would think I'm an idiot when I'm actually not! But I didn't say I hate the idea of hanging out with you until dusk, even if it's quiet and I couldn't hold a proper conversation!"

"Well, I hate the idea of you getting hurt by your mother just because you hang around with the son of the school principal who's acting as your private tutor!" He shouted back.

"Why do you care anyway? You were just forced to be my private tutor anyway!"

"And you were forced to be tutored!"

"But I still like your existence!"

"And I like you!"

..............

My face flushed red as soon as I heard that. My mind went blank and all stopped working altogether. I don't hear anything else but the awkward silence that Asano and I are hearing.

"Was that--" I tried to ask.

Asano immediately but gently covered my mouth. "Don't ask." He said, his head hung low, but I can see it from a glance that his face is also flushed as mine. Maybe even more.

"Just... please. Let's end this. I can talk to my father about this and you tell your mother that everything is settled now. I don't want to see another injury, or another tear in your face again. If I do, I might not be able to hold back." He said, not moving his position.

"Do you hate this reckless decision as much as I do?" I asked, gently moving his hand away from my mouth.

"Even more than you can imagine."

This is my punishment. This is also appropriate for the following crimes that I committed:

1. Not studying when I'm supposed to.
2. Failing my tests.
3. Ruined my own life by fooling around too much.
4. Ruined someone else's life through manipulation and deceit.
5. Not caring about a single thing.
6. Desperately driving other people away.
7. Giving into temptation.
8. Not emotionally strong enough to endure my mother's abuse.
9. Not holding a proper promised date.
10. Going with Asano.

The last one was from my mother. She said I betrayed her for going with Asano. It must be the most impact-inducing crime I committed since that had the most impact-inducing consequence I faced.

Have I forgotten something she said?

I must get into the bottom of this before my relationship with Asano strains further! I don't want to suffer anymore. I know for a fact that Asano is suffering even more.

No matter how scared he is of his father, he's mustering up the courage to talk to him about my situation.

I still remember his face when I asked him to just say "no" to his father. His face is full of fear and panic. I don't want him to have the same face again.

I might not be able to be with Asano after class, but, I will find a way so we can be together again. Not as tutor and student, but as friends.