Chapter 7 - It's Unavoidable! (Part A)

Here part A of chapter 7. I apologize to those I told I would put up an update a few days ago. I have been busy and stressed out for a couple of days now. There's a chance I might become homeless in a month! (T-T)

------------

Chapter 7 – It’s Unavoidable! (Part A)

Xiao Ming hadn’t slept well last night since his father left to speak with the Emperor. His mind wouldn’t allow him to think of anything else except for that crazy decree the emperor passed on yesterday. Having stressed all night, Xiao Ming had decided to go relax his mind at the Water Lotus Garden in the late morning.

The Water Lotus Garden was a large and beautiful man-made lotus pond with a diameter of 100 feet. Its entrance was a stone arch, wrapped in delicate white flowers. The borders of the garden were decorated with elegant shrubberies and florae. Above the water, hundreds of lotuses were in full bloom; meanwhile, beautiful koi fishes danced beneath. At the center of the lotus pond was a large wooden platform. An elegant gazebo, draped with white and sky-blue silk, was set in the center of the platform. The platform was joined to the stone arch entrance by a long 3 yards thick wooden bridge.

Xiao Ming sat quietly within the gazebo with a guzheng in front of him. His fingers moved gracefully like the fluttering of silk over the strings, producing serene a melody. Sitting next to him was his 2nd sister-in-law Yu Lin and her 4-year-old daughter Xiao Hong. She cuddled her daughter as she quietly listened to the melody.

Yu Lin was the minor wife of his older brother Xiao Heng. She was a 21-years-old woman with an average body build. Although she was not beautiful like Xiao Heng’s official wife Xie Cuifen, Yu Lin was the one in Xiao Heng’s heart because of her patient and kind temperament. She and Xiao Ming were very close to each other. She had always treated him as if he were her blood brother.

Lying down close to them was Xiao Ruo. She was flat on her back at the edge of the platform with both of her feet in the water. Her brows creased as she played roughly with Xiao Ming’s lucky turtle. Her hands moved unceasingly as she flipped and spun the turtle into the air. Frighten, the turtle shrunk his head into the safety of his shell.

“Da Fu, Da Fu. You old turtle. You bring luck and fortune, but what is this? You gave it to the wrong person! Da Fu, you old turtle!” Xiao Ruo’s hand stopped and lowered the turtle closer to her face.

[Note: Da = big, Fu = luck, fortune, blessing, & happiness]

Sensing that she stopped, the turtle’s head popped out of the shell to look at her.

Xiao Ruo pursed her lips and frowned at the turtle. “Yeah! I’m talking about you. Da Fu! This is unfair! I’m already 19 and I’m still unmarried. All my friends are already married at 15 and 16. Here I am an old, dying spinster without a man. And now, even Xiao Ming, A MALE, is going to get married to a prince.”

Right as Xiao Ruo mentioned prince, Xiao Ming flinched and played the wrong note. His hands stopped and he glared at his insensitive sister. He had finally forgotten about the marriage nightmare and was able to relax his mind. Xiao Ruo had just ruined his mood.

Yu Lin smiled and shook her at Xiao Ruo, while Xiao Hong giggled looking at her silly aunty.

Not noticing Xiao Ming’s irritation, Xiao Ruo continued, “This is simply a huge blow to my confidence! Ah, my 1stprince, I don’t care if you are already married. Take me away with you to a faraway land where we can be together forever.” She closed her eyes and hugged the turtle as if it was the 1stprince. Then she opened her eyes and pointed a finger at the turtle’s head. She spoke with a firm and commanding voice, “Da Fu, turn this fortune around so that I get to marry the 1st prince!”

Incensed by Xiao Ruo’s rudeness, the turtle snapped at her finger. How dare this little girl treat him so?! Not even his beautiful master Xiao Ming treated him this way!

Xiao Ruo cried out in pain, and cursed, “Ouch! Da Fu, you damn old turtle! I’m going to turn you into turtle soup! Just you wait! I going to – Wah!”

The turtle slipped from her hands and jumped into the water, where he swam to shore and left the Water Lotus Garden.

From behind her, Xiao Ming coughed twice. Suddenly realizing that everyone was watching her, Xiao Ruo smiled awkwardly. “I mean, Da Fu, that old turtle…I love him dearly. I would never turn him into turtle soup. Hehe.”

Xiao Ming’s gaze remained on Xiao Ruo, while Xiao Hong burst out laughing and pointed her finger at Xiao Ruo. Yu Lin caught her daughter’s hand and chided her for laughing at her elder.

The mood was still awkward so Xiao Ruo stretched her smile wider.

Seeing that Xiao Ruo was oblivious to what she had said earlier, Xiao Ming said, “Xiao Ruo, why are you turning my plight into a joke? You think I want to marry another man?”

“Uh, I’m sorry Ah Ming. I didn’t mean anything by it. You know this elder sister of yours can be insensitive at times without knowing.” She bit her lower lip and made a sorry face.

Yu Lin patted Xiao Ming affectionately on the shoulder and spoke in a reassuring voice. “Ah Ming, do not take Ah Ruo’s words to heart. Perhaps father had persuaded the Emperor to overturn the decree. Do not worry excessively. It’s not good for you. Let us wait until father returns with news.”

Xiao Ming nodded.

Suddenly, a charming, yet overbearing, voice sounded from the wooden bridge. “There’s no need to wait further. Father is back.”

Xiao Ming and everyone looked to the bridge to see Xie Cuifen standing there. She had one hand on her hip and her expression was arrogant. “Xiao Ming, father wants to see you.” She sneered as she finished speaking, and then immediately turned to leave. She was not close to any of the Xiao siblings, and so, did not like to spend time with them like Yu Lin did. At the moment, Xie Cuifen prayed in her heart that Xiao Ming would be married off so that the Xiao inheritance would all go to her husband and son.

Looking at Xie Cuifen’s retreating figure, Xiao Ruo snorted with disdain, “Overbearing bitch!”

“Xiao Ruo, watch your language. Even if you do not like elder sister Cuifen, you should still treat her with respect, because she is your elder and your brother’s main wife.”

Xiao Ruo pouted and turned to her sister-in-law. “Sis-in-law Yu Lin, I can’t be like you. Tolerant and soft-spoken. I can’t just take her crap. Humph!”

Yu Lin shook her head helplessly.

Xiao Ming was distracted by the news that his father was back. He contemplated the outcome of his father’s visit with the Emperor. He took a breath to calm his nervous heart and said to the others “Well, let us go see father.” Then they all left the Water Lotus Garden.