22: The Solution That Will Cause More Problems

//

1997
Third Person PoV
//

Sirius Black sits on an overhanging balcony, which displays the Quidditch field and other small lands of Hogwarts. He just sits there silently, arms resting on the low railing. His silver eyes flicker across each inch of the view, but he's not sure what he's searching for.

He groans in exasperation, giving up his attempt at distracting his mind from Henrietta.

Yes, he started calling her Henrietta. Sirius can't help but recall when Renley would grimace just slightly every time he said her fake name in a "I love you". So he assumes maybe she just wanted him to call her Henrietta. And that's what he'll do.

Sirius shuts his eyes for a long moment, just enjoying the blackness. Images keep trying to invade his mind, but he pushes them away before they can intrude his temporary serenity.

When he reopens them, it's only because there's small thuds behind him.

Glancing over his shoulder, he locks eyes with none other than Claws. The Devil Spawn wandered over, wings folded at her sides and tail swaying slightly.

The dragon plopped down beside him, following his lead and simply staring into the distance. Sirius can't help but wonder how much Claws misses Henrietta. Does she miss her as much as he does?

Sirius sighed, resting his chin on his arms. It's a beautiful day, and he's curious why Claws isn't out flying or perhaps hunting for entertainment.

Surprisingly, the dragon warbles and wraps her tail around him. The man takes a long glimpse at her reptilian face, smiling softly.

"And for once, we're besties," he jokes, but it's with little humor.

Claws croons, staring off into the Forbidden Forest. She is, no doubt, recalling the cove where she spent some of her time in with Henrietta.

With a little exhale of air, Sirius mutters, "Twenty days left." He glances over to Claws. "You're excited, and I am too. But YOU don't have to worry about the crap ton I do."

Claws simply huffs a warm breath of air into his face.

Sirius returns his gaze to the large view, focusing on the forest like Claws. A small smile replaces his frown. While everything reminds him of Henrietta, a lot of them are good things.

He remembers all the strong emotions, positive or negative. Above all, he recalls the wave of horror and sadness he felt as a teenager when he first discovered Henrietta was gone. He remembers the swell of love, happiness, and hope. Henrietta played a key role in helping him LIVE back then.

Sirius still has the scars. There's faint belt lashes across his back, and the only reason they're less noticeable is because he stole a scar salve days after he escaped Azkaban. Then there's the few muggle cigarette burns on one of his thighs.

And the last scar forever haunts him. It's himself, ripping open a bottle of muggle pills, swallowing them all one by one—

He needs Henrietta. If she doesn't return, or if she doesn't love him anymore, he'll die inside more than he did in 1977.

And there won't be anyone strong enough to save him.

A long sigh drew from Sirius. He leant against Claws, who actually purred and tightened her tail around him.

"I'm way too tired to put up with this shit," Sirius mumbles.

After a drawn out moment of sitting there, just enjoying the view and lost in their thoughts, both Claws and Sirius were snapped into reality by a voice.