9: Mission Accomplished!

//

1976

Henrietta/Renley's PoV

//

After heading back inside to Lily, I still couldn't seem to get over the fluttering feeling in my stomach, and the warmth spreading from the spot where Sirius kissed my cheek. That's really cliché, but it was happening.

"There you are!" Lily suddenly exclaimed once I reentered the café.

"Yeah, sorry. But I found it!" I cheered, pulling out my wand from my robes. But it had been there the entire time.

"Okay, good. So, about this James thing--"

"Lily, you're thinking too much of it," I murmured, patting her shoulder. "I know you think James might be using you, or he's just obsessed 'cause your the first girl to reject him, but... the truth is, he loves you."

Lily paused, staring at me with wide eyes. "He... loves me? Like really, seriously, loves me?" she queried softly.

"Of course," I whispered, smiling reassuringly at her. "You're all he ever talks about. Plus, he always looks for you. And a couple times, he's accidentally asked out loud what you would think of him if he did this or that He's trashed so many prank plans because of you. He didn't want to ruin your thoughts of him. And this way he looks at you--it's like a fairytale!"

Lily frowned, and it was then I noticed her familiar green eyes glistening. I gasped, suddenly feeling guilty. "Why're you crying? I'm sorry, Lily. Did I say something bad, or--?"

"Bad? Bad?" she choked out, a tear trailing down her cheek. "No! You said something entirely too good! James loves me! And I've been too stupid to see it all these years. And--and my sister is always treating me like trash! And Severus betrayed me by calling me a m-mudblood, and--" She let out a little sob, smiling broadly. "And James LOVES me! He's been right in front of me all this time! What do I do?"

I grinned back at her, completely unaware of my own tears. I didn't even notice I was crying too, until I was choking on a sob too.

"You embrace it, Lily," I murmured. "Let him know tomorrow. Surprise him at breakfast. Sit next to him, ask to talk to him in private. He'll be so happy, Lily."

"Okay, okay," she sighed, wiping away her tears. "Wait, why are you crying?"

I froze, lifting a hand to my cheeks. "This stuff just gets me really emotional," I lied, the lump in my throat growing.

But in reality, I'm beyond happy. I'm playing matchmaker for my dead parents. I'm helping them fall in love. I'm changing their lives with ONE conversation with Lily!

"Anyways, we should probably head back to Hogwarts," I murmured. Lily nodded in agreement.

"Okay... but what about my hiding spot?" she queried.

"Show me it later. How about tomorrow? We won't have classes tomorrow," I suggested, hoping to steer her away from hanging outside on the night of the full moon.

"Okay, sure," Lily grinned. "Thanks so much, Renley. It means a lot."

"You're welcome." 'Mom,' I added mentally.

We waved goodbye to Melissa, then headed out of the café.

//

With the Hogwarts castle in sight, we continued chatting on our way back inside. I made sure to stay alert, just in case Moony escaped the Shrieking Shack, or in case one of the other Marauders come out and make Lily suspicious.

I had just been humming in agreement with Lily on some random topic, when we both heard a loud howl nearby.

I tensed, snapping my head in the direction of the Shrieking Shack. But it wasn't coming from there....