Paris

Blackout poetry

Original:

"What happened?"

"He went mad," he said sadly. "Or rather, the sword he carried drove him mad. The same sword your brother now carries."

Sophie looked across the garden to where the big man in the leather jacket stood drinking pink lemonade through a straw. "He doesn't look crazy, though."

"Not at the moment, he doesn't."

"Why did he attack you?"

"It's complicated," Prometheus said, jumping back as hot grease spat at him.

Sophie glanced at the sausages and sizzling hamburgers, then looked away quickly as her stomach turned. Ever since she'd been Awakened, she'd developed an aversion to meat. "How complicated?"

"Well Mars married my sister, Zephaniah, which made us brothers-in-law. But when the sword drove him insane, I helped my sister capture him and trap him in a shell of his own hardened aura. She buried him deep underground, and over the centuries the city of Paris grew above his head."

"Sophie?" Aunt Agnes had appeared from the kitchen, carrying a tray.

"Just a minute, Aunt – "

"Now, Sophie," Tsagaglalal insisted.

"Excuse me," Sophie said, and crossed the patio.

Tsagaglalal handed her the tray, which held slices of cut sushi. "Will you help me pass these around? Our guests must be famished."

Page 263, The Warlock {The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel} by Michael Scott

Poem:

He went mad
With power
In Paris
And Tsagaglalal
Insisted on
Slices of
Cut sushi