Chapter 45: A murder?

Începe de la început

"Yes, what about that? Don't tell me that they had conflict on a large scale?" the two families couldn't stand each other, but they never raised attention from the other two. All conflicts were laid low, both heads agreed to that.

"Nothing like that, but maybe you're not too far from the mark. Apparently, Raiders' head has disappeared."

Nikolas only shrugged before taking another slice of pizza. He didn't disappear, he was in the jail.

"And right before that, a member or Hawks' family has been murdered. Nothing has been confirmed by now, but it's one of the options that the boss of Raiders killed him. Even higher-ups are hiding any valuable information about that," as Buck continued, Nikolas only raised his eyebrow. Who could he have killed in a jail?

"So, there was conflict after all?" Nikolas asked while buck shook his head.

"Yes and no, because the other family doesn't have any proofs or Raiders' boss killing one of theirs, they wouldn't dare start a fight - it's also not the first time something like that happened. Raiders proposed peace treaty two years ago and there haven't been any casualties on either side, so it's least likely that their boss actually killed one."

True that. They hated each other, but killing was pointless and both sides hated losing their men.

"So why would one think that Raiders' boss killed Hawks' man? I don't see any logic in that," Nikolas asked, he had slept through one trouble, and an even bigger one came to bite him like a fucking karma.

"That's unfortunately censured information. However, since he disappeared, Raiders were looking for him the entire time and even got in few brawls with opposing fractions. It doesn't seem like they'll be stopping soon from the looks of it."

Seriously? Was he never bound to have a little peace in his life?

"Well fuck," he should inform Vincent of his whereabouts as soon as possible.

"That indeed sounds like a trouble, can I get that one phone call now?" he asked the two policemen who only nodded before letting him go out of the jail and pointing out to the phone.
Dialling the number he knew would only bring him a headache, he braced himself for the yelling that would undoubtedly come.

"I don't have time to speak, try reaching me lat—" just as the three rings ended, Vincent began to speak ignoring the caller as Nikolas interrupted him.

"Dad, it's me," he said and a long pause followed before Vincent sighed.

"What the fuck? Where are you?" he asked and another moment of silence passed before he continued, "Do you understand what number are you calling me from? Are you in jail? When were you arrested? Which police station? Are you alive? No injuries nor internal wounds?" Questions followed one after another and Nikolas could help but roll his eyes before removing the phone from his ear. He so didn't need to listen to him just as he heard about trouble rising.

"Are you done?" he asked after he noticed Vincent calming down. That man worried too much, he was going to end up having a heart attack too early for that.

"Yes, now which police station? Don't say anything to the police before we get there with a lawyer, we'll get you out of there. But what the fuck were you thinking—" not being able to listen to him anymore, Nikolas snorted before saying where he was and ending the call.

"You see now why I was running away from him?" he asked the two before going back to his cell and lying down. He had some time before Vincent arrived, so he might've as well used it to rest. Who knows when he'll get another chance for it.

If nothing else, his cold finally seems to have passed.

Less than thirty minutes later Vincent came with three more people which turned out to be Daniel, Edward and Trevor - their family lawyer.

"That was fast," he noted to himself before sitting up and waving his hand towards his company. He had expected them to take more time before arriving, and just as he thought that it couldn't get any worse from the disapproving stage Vincent was throwing him, duke Blance freaking Lancelot came after those with a smirk on his face.

Now, the guy wasn't bad nor anything like that, he just couldn't stand Nikolas and has been trying to throw him in jail for half a decade now. He was one of rare dukes that worked in police and the dark haired fellow was walking definition of saint the money couldn't corrupt.

It's more like his sense of justice hit him in his head hard enough that he couldn't allow it to be tainted or something. Yes, he's one of noble, knight-like pains in the posterior that were more than perfect for working in police.

Now, Nikolas not being able go stand him as well, was something else.

"Nikolas Tyller, you're under arrest for the murder of Donovan McGrew. You have right to keep silent, and everything you say—" just as he began to talk, Nikolas interrupted him.

"I'm already arrested you blind idiot, and what kind of nonsense are you sprouting right now? What murder?"

Seriosly, why would they even think of blaming him? He was sleeping in the jail the entire night.

Nikolas really couldn't believe that a random action to get into the jail would become his perfect alibi for the night and save him from all accusations.