Phase II Screening - Selection E

Directions: Complete the meta analysis in-line. DM the comment topic response and general comment to .

META ANALYSIS (at least 5 in-line comments that extend through the entire chapter):

👍 or THUMBS UP—Elaborate why you think so. (at least one time each chapter—[MANDATORY])

☕ or NEEDS CAFFEINEElaborate why you think something can be improved—plot, characterization, grammar, etc.. (at least one time each chapter—[MANDATORY])

💓 or HEART RACING (feeling excitement) [OPTIONAL]

😥 or TEARS (crying or feeling very emotional) [OPTIONAL]

or HEART (love something, more than a thumbs up) [OPTIONAL]

😵 or CONFUSED (don't understand something) [OPTIONAL]

Comment Topic: The narrative must support the dialogue by exposing the underlying tension, conflict, and motivation of each character. How has the author used subtext like gestures, glances, body language, and behavior to help you gauge the protagonist's motivation in this current chapters? Min. length: 3 sentences. For this screening process, please post this response in a DM to AmericanBruja.

GENERAL COMMENTS: Remember that these are supposed to be reader engagement comments. Comment on characterization if it was well-done. Did a plot twist get you? Did something pull you out of the story? Most of all, if you're enjoying it, say so and say why. Refrain from giving editing advice, including grammar, phrasing, and story elements. For this screening process, please post this response in a DM to AmericanBruja

"Betrayal," a short story by AmericanBruja, published by ParanormalCommunity in Real Life Paranormal Experiences

August, 2011

The House on Lizard Hill was falling apart. Years of neglect by previous owners left it in such sorry shape that a neighbor suggested the culdesac would be better if someone took a match to it.

The renovations needed far surpassed our middle class incomes, leaving much of the work to my husband.

"This place is going to kill me," he grumbled as rain seeped through one of the many openings in the roof.

Sighing, I offered an empathetic response, but secretly worried. Maybe we'd taken on more than we could handle when we bought the rambling 1939 ranch house.

To help pay our new mistress's upkeep, we rented out the larger of the two detached guest units to a nice young man. He'd recently relocated from the Midwest, and planned to bring his wife out as soon as he'd saved enough to upgrade his living conditions.