Chapter 5.2

Luke-

Luke tried opening his eyes again but the artificial lighting burned them. They had become accustomed to the dark. How long has it been?

The smell of disinfectant and the noise of monitors overpowered his senses. Cold oxygen burned his nostrils and throat as it made its way to his lungs. He tried to move ever so slightly but a surging pain spread throughout his body making him stop. God! I've been hit by a truck.

One side of his face throbbed with each blink of his eyelids. He'd figured out he was in a hospital even before the nurse told him. The way people were talking to him cemented that fact. Her saying it didn't mean he believed it though.

He forced his eyes open this time. His vision was blurry and the glare of the roof lighting wasn't helping. Shadows and colours jumbled about spinning and twirling on the ceiling. He could feel a weight upon his right arm.
He moved his head ever so slightly to the right to see the blurred outline of Teya sitting alongside his bed. She's alive!

He tried to say her name but all he could manage was a high pitched grunt. His throat felt so raw and dry. He coughed, pain erupting from everywhere.

She leant forward quickly, "It's okay, don't talk." He could see she had been crying. Even the blur affecting his vision couldn't hide it. Her coming closer helped though.

He reached his hand forward to touch her face. It took him a few go's but he got his arm moving. His fingers met her cheek. A shiver replaced the pain as he felt her soft skin; she was real. Something made him certain that this time she wouldn't die.

~~~~~~~

Teya-

He had his eyes open and was looking right at her. Teya couldn't hide the happiness she was feeling as he smirked.

~~~~~~

Luke-

He looked back over at Teya. He had missed her gorgeous blue eyes so much and her smile, how he had missed that beautiful smile. He tried to talk again.

"T-eya?" he wheezed the second part of her name, unable to find his voice.

"Welcome back." She gripped onto his hand as tears started free flowing down her face.

Great, she needed to stop crying because he thought he just might too, and then he would be back to seeing nothing. She must have noticed him staring at her, because she let out an awkward giggle as she tried to regain her composure, wiping the tears from her eyes.

"Where's Maxy?" He groaned. The room seemed to go quiet, she stared at him. "Where's our baby boy?" He could feel the tears welling in his eyes as the suspense heightened. Why aren't you answering me?

She smiled at him softly, "He's okay. You saved him," Luke cried in relief, "your mother is looking after him. Lucky you're overprotective. The doctors say that's what saved him from any real injury."

Her smile faltered as she continued watching him. "We almost lost you," she said, sobbing the last half of the sentence.

"I wasn't going anywhere without you and Max," he said weakly, smiling softly in the wave of relief. He had gotten his family back. Something nagged at him. All those memories that weren't real flooded his conscience. He urged himself to ask Teya the questions that he had been waiting to ask for so long,

"What happened?" his voice came out a bit louder than a groan.

"You were in a car accident. A drunk driver swerved into your lane and you went off the road," he could remember that part, "You rolled the car into a gully."

He felt sick hearing those words.

"God, Teya, I am so sorry. I did hurt him, didn't I?"

She reassured him, stroking his arm. "Max is fine. He has barely a scratch. You made sure of that."
A memory flooded back. He could remember the sickening lurch his chest made and the grinding of bones.

"What was... How long have I been here?" He knew asking about his injuries would only distress her further.

"You have been in a coma for four weeks. You had some internal bleeding and a bad knock to your skull."

"I am so sorry, Teya. I wish I never put you through this. " Her blue eyes seemed to melt into the tears falling down her face.

"This is better than walking alongside a coffin."

He thought back upon what had happened in his head. His brain fought for some sort of reality and managed to twist it into what he had witnessed though never seen. One conversation popped up,

"Heh, and your mother was so looking forward to getting rid of me."