Chapter 13: The Victor

I throw my arms in the air and jump really high in the air, and though when I land it hurts so horribly, I smile.

Claudius Templesmith's voice booms through the arena, through the Capitol. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the victor of the 68th Hunger Games- District 7's very own Johanna Mason!"

The roar of the Capitol is so loud, so very very loud, I don't know how my eardrums didn't burst. A hovercraft appears out of nowhere and I jump on immediately. Waving goodbye at the cameras, I throw my free hand in the air and smile, but it's stuck like that since I'm frozen here.

My breathing gets short and the second they pull me into the hovercraft I pass out

I'm attached to tubes when I wake up. My ankle is wrapped up and there are crutches nearby. I've been running around with this sprained ankle when I should've been using crutches? A doctor rushes in immediately when he sees I've woken.

"Johanna, you must want to know about your conditions," He exclaims.

"Go for it," I say tiredly.

"Okay, you sprained your ankle really badly. The ligaments are completely torn. They were stretched, but you ran so much, you tore them! Why would you force yourself to run, hmm?"

"To survive, idiot!" I retort, really angry.

The doctors eyes widen. He hurries out of the room and comes back with several more doctors. They strap me my wrists and ankles down, the sprained one very gently.

I wish I could leave the Capitol.

"When do I get to go home?" I half ask, half complain.

"Well you get crowned tomorrow and interviews about the games with Caesar the next day. Then you can go home, okay?" One slim, female doctor with long brown hair tells me.

No! I want to go home now.

Please let me go home. Please. I can't do this anymore. I'm so homesick.

I start screaming and pulling off the restrains very easily. They tear and I try and get up but I don't get a chance to even get up when they jab a needle in my arm.

Once I wake up, I realize they've replaced the fabric before with metal straps, and I'm in a different room with no doors in sight.

I must be crazy, I think. I must've gone insane.

That's why they've taken extra precautions. Tubes are attached to my arms. They've moved my pretty little crutches into this room. A doctor opens a door that looks like a wall to me.

"Johanna, looks like you had a nice rest!" He says.

"Filled with nightmares," I mutter.

"Oh, dear. Well it's morning. You get crowned tonight," He says.

This confuses me, but I remember that I won in the middle of the night. Well, it was only midnight, but I though it was the middle of the night. You can't always tell.

The only thing on my mind is Hensa. I feel bad for killing her. But if I ever want to see my baby sister and momma and dad again, I had to, didn't I?

"Am I insane?" I ask quietly.

"No," He says fiercely. "This happens to almost all the victors right after they've won their Games."

"You sure?" I ask. I seem pretty insane.

"You're fine," He insists, and walks out the wall-door. I rest my head against the back of the hospital bed and close my eyes.

Dark. It's dark. My eyelids fly open and I'm in a state of panic. I can't quite see right, I don't know where I am. I pull out the restrains, manage to get some of the tubes off myself, and alarms start to screech.