Chapter 1: Reaping Day

I wake up- no, it wasn't just a dream. I'm still in District Seven, and it's reaping day. The air feels as heavy as lead, I've got no way to get out of this hellhole. I've thought about escaping far into the woods and living out there, I could make it. But eventually, the lumberjacks would get to where and I am, and who would come with me?

Nobody likes me. I'm repulsive. But hey, just because I rip a head off with an axe and they can't doesn't mean they should be haters.

I climb out of bed, get dressed. Johanna Mason, you are not going into the Hunger Games.

But for some reason, I can't force myself to believe it. There's a chance- yes, there's thousands of slips, but still. Honestly, I'd have a chance, but in the Hunger Games, anything can happen.

I comb my long, brown hair and walk down the stairs. The reaping is at 2, and it's 1:30. 1:30? I slept for so long. I guess because I couldn't get any sleep last night.

By the time I'm finished breakfeast, it's time for the reaping.

Everyone in District Seven files quietly into the square. I find a place to stand and everyone moves away because they're scared of me. Mayor Angers reads the Treaty of Treason. Then Baily Tayers comes bouncing up.

"Oh! It is such an honor to be here!" She blabbers on a bit about how amazing it is to be here. I'm about to scream at her to shut up when she finally says,

"Happy Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favour! Let's begin with the ladies!"

Baily dips her hand into the ball. I stand as still as possible, clenching my grass necklace tightly, teeth clenched together, but not showing it. Feeling paralyzed, Baily finally finds a slip that satisfies her.

"And our lucky tribute will be..." Her bright pink lips move slowly, and the name forms on her lips. "Johanna Mason!"