14. Get Well Soon, Nivin

Start from the beginning

&*&*&*&

I was roughly awaken by the shake of my shoulders. Someone was constantly rattling me, not in a good way but it was in a very annoying and disturbing way. Finally, I opened my eyes groggily to stare into those dark chocolate brown eyes that I have grown familiar to. Sid. What was he doing her? And when did I ever fall asleep? Maybe the events of day had caused exhaustion in me to fall asleep this way? It because I can never fall asleep this way unless I was too tired for my own good. I realized that aunty and didi too were awake. Jiju raised that extra cup of coffee to me.

" It's not too hot dear but you were too tired. So I didn't want to wake you up." I nodded and could note some sense of relief in everyone's face.

I drank that liquid and it was just perfect. Neither too hot nor too cold. I drank it in a gulp and could feel the effect of caffeine settle in me. I was slowly becoming more awake and alert to surrounding around me.

" Nivin is out of danger for now. But would be keep in 24 hours under observation. He is for now in the general ward and may be kept here a week or so." Sid spelt out slowly and clearly for me.

"Can I speak to Nivin?" This was the first question that popped into my head and so I asked.

Sid shook,his head in negative. " He's sleeping Ria. He has been given some sedatives to achieve that state. Why not meet him in the morning?"

I nodded. At least I can meet him in the morning.

"Only one attended can stay here. So, I have decided to stay. Ri, why don't you drive them to their place and spent the night with them? Freshen up and come in the morning."

I nodded again. I had given the car keys in the purse I carried and so, I reached out for it and got up.

" Sid," I called to the retracing body, " Can we please have a glimpse of Nivin before we go? You know, just to know that he's safe."

Sid nodded and took us towards the general ward. There was Nivin who was varied up to various things. Saline bottles, IV and what not. Tears slipped through my cheeks without my knowledge. " Get Well Soon,Nivin." I whispered. " It's so boring without you nagging me. I miss you already and think of our state if this continues. So, get well soon and get back to your jerk self soon."

I don't know whether I imagined or it really happened but I saw a twitch of jaw and a movement of finger. I alarmed Sid only to learn that he can mildly hear what we say and react A few doctors encouraged my effort in engaging him but told me told leave him to rest now and do the same tomorrow. I accepted them and left along with Nivin's family.

We all reached his home safe where I offered to sleep with aunty while jiju and didi shared a room. I was going through Nivin's room. It was neatly arranged, no trace of commotion shown. Wow, this man is truly a living perfectionist. But only next to my dad. In a way, dad and Nivin are alike. Both love their career, are workaholic and secretive in nature. They never confide anything to anyone. They brood within themselves. Even if we try to learn about their lives, they shut themselves up before we could even learn a little. They never understand the benefits and joy of confiding the matters of hearts to others. Yet to others they are very great in terms of listening and solving their problem. I remember dad telling me that once upon a time he too was chirpy and talkative like mom. But then all along the way, something happened and turned into this reserved guy. All along my twenty three years I have never been able to place my finger on this something that totally changed his character.

The same is with Nivin. From day one that I met him, I knew that this guy had some mental blockages and emotional baggage within him. But I could not still believe that he could have such a heavy baggage that could even threathen his,life. Whatever has happened in his past is truly not so good.