•••

Alistair and Zayne found Kellan by the ferris wheel. Alistair walked over to him, "Hey."

Kellan looked from her to Zayne and back. "Where have you been?"

"Checking out the funhouse," Zayne grinned.

"The funhouse?" Kellan looked at Alistair.

"It was cool." Ali shrugged.

Kellan looked at Zayne for a second and shook his head, "We should head back now." He told Alistair.

Ali looked at Zayne then back to Kellan. "I'll catch up with you later. I need to ask Zayne something."

"Um, okay," Kellan reluctantly walked away.

"You need to ask me something?" Zayne looked down at her.

"No," she shook her head. "I just like being alone with you."

Zayne smiled to himself. "That's nice to know."

•••

Three weeks flew by. Zayne was sitting in the park with Alistair. They were both working on Foreign Language homework. Alistair set her book on the stone table and looked at Zayne. "Can you explain Clandestine's history to me now?" She asked him.

"You finished?" Zayne looked into her dark green eyes.

Alistair nodded and showed him her notebook. "Done."

"Okay," he typed one last sentence and closed his own notebook. "Well, Clandestine was formed hundreds of years ago, don't ask me exactly how long because I don't remember, but before that, immortals lived on Earth with the humans. And everything was good up until the humans began to think of the immortals as freaks and started to discriminate against the ones known to have strange abilities. Soon, all immortals were forced to hide their powers and blend in with humans. Immortals and humans don't have that many differences and the ones they do have aren't very noticeable. But the humans soon figured out who was who because immortals have needs. And they can't help it sometimes. So the basic immortals took charge. They told the other immortals that there were only two options: flee or fight. They wanted to fight, but they knew it wouldn't be fair. There's no point in fighting a weak enemy. So they created Clandestine where everything was okay. But even here we have rebels. People who want to conquer the universe and take over what they think is rightfully ours. We call them rogue immortals. That's the reason we made immortal weapons." Zayne looked into Alistair's eyes. "Kinda boring."

"Not at all," she shook her head. "So who are the rogue immortals or does anyone know?"

"They call themselves the Destines." Zayne looked up at the blue sky. "They want to choose their own destinies and be free from Clandestine. They have their own way of thinking. No one knows the specifics of the Destines, but no one cares to know either. If they don't attack, they aren't a problem and we don't worry about them. But we're prepared when they do. Hence our training schools."

"You know a lot about this." Alistair commented.

"I have a friend who went rogue. He wanted me to join him. I refused, told him I knew what I wanted. I haven't seen him since." Zayne shook his head. "He told me all this. He wanted to convince me that the Destines are the good guys. But I only pursue revenge when I really feel like I need to. That's not my fight."

Alistair nodded. "Makes sense." She smiled and stared into Zayne's eyes. "So you were born with silver hair, huh?"

"Yeah," Zayne ran his fingers through his hair and grinned. "It makes me feel old sometimes. But my fur is silver, too. So that's cool."

"What if a blonde person were a werewolf? What color would their fur be?" Alistair asked.

"Usually, it's gray or brown. There are no blonde wolves." Zayne lifted his arms into the air as he stretched.

"I wonder what's special about me." Alistair whispered.

Zayne looked at her. "What do you mean?"

"I can only fight good. And that's just when my eyes change. I can't do much else." Alistair frowned.

"Fight good? Alistair, last week, you accidentally threw a kid through a wall. You're an amazing fighter and I'm sure there's much more that you could do. You also have talented healing abilities without any training whatsoever. You're definitely special." Zayne took her hands in his. "Just because you don't shift or your powers haven't completely come in yet doesn't mean that you aren't special." His light green eyes stared into her dark ones and she smiled. A grin cracked onto his face as well.

"Thanks," Alistair looked up at the sky, which was slowly turning to dark blue. The sun wasn't visible. "It looks like it might rain."

"That's all right." Zayne grinned, slipping his notebook in his backpack. "Do you want me to take yours, too?"

Alistair nodded and handed him the high tech computer. "Thanks," she smiled as he placed hers into the bag.

"Let's head to the Academy." He grinned.

"But you shouldn't have to walk through the rain, Zayne." Alistair looked up at him.

"Alistair, I'm a werewolf. I'll be all right." Zayne reassured her.

Alistair shook her head. "Let's just go to the Institute. I'll call Kellan and tell him where I am so he doesn't go ballistic." She replied.

•••

Before they made it to the Institute, the rain fell hard. Alistair looked up as the water drenched her and she laughed. "It's cold!"

"It's rain." Zayne smiled and pulled her closer to him.

Alistair's hair was soaking wet and began to curl into waves. She ran her fingers through her wet hair to no avail and looked at Zayne. His silver hair wasn't matted against his forehead as it should've been. It stood perfectly still and gleamed in the rain. The sky darkened to a thunderstorm gray. Alistair didn't ask him about it. "Maybe we should run." She suggested.

"Then we might fall." Zayne told her.

"So?" Alistair took off running toward the large building and Zayne was right behind her.

Zayne had been right. The ground was awfully slippery and Alistair slipped, but Zayne caught her easily. "Whoa," he grinned, lifting her to her feet. "You okay?"

"Yeah, thanks for catching me." She stared into his eyes.

"You still want to run to the Institute?" Zayne rose a dark eyebrow at her.

"Yes," she smiled. "And if I trip again, so be it."

Zayne laughed and let her go. "All right," he ran ahead of her.

She took off after him and they got to the Institute, but they were dripping wet when they got to the doors. "How do we sneak in when we're soaking wet?" Alistair asked.

"We go through the back and dry off in the gym." Zayne answered.

•••

They got to Zayne's room with their clothes mostly dried. Alistair's hair was still dripping. Zayne gave her a towel and she wrapped it around her hair and sat by his window.

"Thanks," she watched the rain fall outside. "When it stops raining, I'll head to the Academy."

"Okay," Zayne sat on his bed. "Are you gonna sit there the whole time or do you want to watch Earth TV?"

"Earth TV?" Alistair turned to look at him. "What do you mean?"

Zayne picked up a remote and turned on his TV. Alistair recognized the movie instantly. She sat next to him on the bed. "I didn't know about this."

"Kellan didn't tell you?" Zayne looked at her.

She shook her head. "Things really aren't that different here."

"Is that a bad thing?" Zayne asked her.

"No," she looked into his eyes. "I love it here." She leaned on his shoulder and smiled.

Zayne put his arm around her. "That's good to know." He smiled.