Lost and Living Plastic

Start from the beginning

You jumped slightly hearing Pastel's voice, expecting him to still be asleep.

"Umm, well I was just looking at this potion. Anyway when did you get up?"

"A few moments ago when I heard someone moving potions around, so I thought it was Master Lucian, but maybe I should start expecting to see you more often in here," Pastel stated, climbing up onto the table, so as to get a better look at the potion in your hands.

"Well, I do like it in here. There are so many interesting items."

"I'm glad you enjoy it in here, Miss ____. Hmm, hair color changing potion, oh please don't give that to Master Lucian."

"Why not?"

"Well when he was making the potion, he accidentally got some on his hair and it turned horrible neon green. He had quite a difficult time getting his color back to normal, since the potion is rather strong. Council members apparently made fun of him for quite some time. It just brings up bad memories for Master Lucian."

"Well, I guess I don't want the council to torment him any further. Do you mind explaining some of these other potions to me Pastel?"

Pastel nodded eagerly, as you set the potion back on the shelf. He seemed so excited to have someone interested in the various mixtures. Thus he explained a multitude of potions to you, which passed the time rather quickly. Eventually the two of you just began to talk, since Pastel was interested in the human world. You happily answered his questions. It was rather nice to talk to someone about your previous life, to have someone to share the memories with.

After spending five hours in the potions room, you heard the door open. Lucian walked in, wearing purple pants and a simple black peasant shirt. Instead of his usual riding boots, he wore plain black slippers. Pastel eyes gleamed at seeing Lucian, showing the admiration that the nezati had for him. Giving Pastel a small smile, Lucian came over to you two and placed his hands on your shoulders.

"My pet, it seems that your eager to see me make the dolls. I expected this to be the last place that you would visit."

"Well I wanted to know more about the different potions and talk to Pastel," you stated, moving so that his hands no longer rested on you.

He sighed at your action before replying, "I see, well shall we attend to the doll making. Pastel do you remember the materials that I require?"

"Of course Master Lucian, I'll get them for you," said the nezati before jumping off the table and running towards one of the shelves in the room.

With Pastel retrieving materials, Lucian motioned you to follow him. Doing so, you found yourself back at the wooden door that was behind the back shelf. Lucian unlocked the door, revealing a square room, which was illuminated by three windows in the room. The only items in the room were a single wooden table that had a red cloth on it and various limbs made out of plastic. A one drawer dresser rested in the far left corner of the room. Furthermore, jars filled with organs outlined several shelves in the room, though the organs were made out of plastic as well. Entering the room, Lucian began to gather the various plastic limbs before assembling them together. Seeing a painted blue chair in the room, you pulled it over next to the table where Lucian was setting the limbs.

When he had them all assembled, he began to grab the organ jars, setting them on the table as well. You watched as he placed each organ in its proper place, since the torso of the doll was opened. There were no reproductive organs, since the dolls didn't need them. Having finished, Lucian closed the opening in the torso. At this point, Pastel came into the room, carrying two jars in his tiny hands. You were still amazed at the nezati's strength. He held the two jars up for Lucian, who took them before telling Pastel that he could leave. Each jar glowed in bright fluorescent colors of blues, greens, yellows and purples. Inside the jars flew a small glowing butterfly that looked rather otherworldly. With the added two jars on the table, Lucian put all the organ jars back on the shelves.

Next he started to mutter quiet phrases, which were incomprehensible to you. You watched in amazement, as the limbs all began to connect together and the opening in the torso became forever closed. When this was completed, Lucian opened another jar before asking you what eye color the doll should have. Personally, you thought it would be cool if the doll had two different colored eyes. Thus you stated that one should be green and the other blue. Merely nodding, he placed the eyes into the doll's eye sockets before waving his hand over the area, securing them in place.

"Now my pet, could you open the dresser and pick out clothing for her as well as a wig."

Nodding, you went over to the dresser and looked for something that would suit the doll. Taking out a black dress that resembled a casual maid's attire and a long black wig, you handed the items to Lucian. Arranging and securing them on the doll, he grabbed one of the jars with the butterflies in it. Muttering once more, he began to open the jar. The light in the room seemed to dim, as your gaze became fixated on the flying creature. Moreover, you noticed that the doll's limbs were starting to look less and less like plastic, but more like actual skin. The butterfly neared the doll's mouth before flying inside. At once the doll's chest began to beat and her eyes began to blink.

She cast her gaze over at Lucian, answering with a blank expression, "I'm here to serve Master. What do you wish of me?"

"Please exit the room and wait for me there."

She merely nodded, got off the table and left the room, leaving you stunned.

"Lucian, I don't understand; what was that butterfly?".

"A female lost spirit, the jar is imbued with magic that attracts such spirits. After reciting the proper incantation, the spirit will move into its new body. This gives the spirit a purpose in this world and if its new body dies it will move on. Thus it frees the spirits from an eternity of being lost in the magical world."

"Wait, so the spirit has no recollection of its former life?"

"No, but if its new body should die and moves on then it will remember who it previously was."

"I see, so you're doing them a favor then."

"Yes, many in the magical world wouldn't want to meddle with lost spirits, finding them only nuisances. Now shall we move onto the next one?"

"Yeah," you stated still pondering this information.

This meant that Nafera was once a sorceress in the magical world, who died and became lost due to something holding her back from moving on. You became curious about her past life and decided that soon you would question her on it. She probably wouldn't know anything, since Lucian said that they don't remember their past lives, but maybe you could get her to remember something of her former self.