9. A Shit-Load of Vervain

Start from the beginning

"Promise you won't freak out," he said, continuing without waiting for my reply. "When Katherine and Pearl and all the other vampires were kidnapped, they were put in Fell's church, remember?"

"Yeah, they set it on fire," I said. The day after the church burned was the day that my brothers finally told me the truth, about what Katherine and Pearl were, and about what they had become.

"There was a tomb inside the church," he continued. "The all-powerful Emily Bennett did a spell, sealing Katherine and the other vampires in the tomb and keeping them unharmed."

"Wait a second," I said. "You used my aunt Emily to keep Katherine safe? You've known that she was alive all this time, and you and Stefan kept this from me for over 100 years?!"

"I knew that she was safe. Emily never told me what she did or where she hid them. I was searching for years when I decided to read our father's journal, where he just happened to mention a tomb under the church. Who would've thought?"

"So that's why you guys came back here? For Katherine?"

"In Stefan's defence, he didn't know that they were alive until I came back to Mystic Falls."

"And you think Anna knows that her mother is alive?"

"Why else would she be back here?" he asked, walking downstairs with me in tow. "Grab Blondie and meet me at the church."

"Care, get up!" I shouted over to Caroline. "Wait, Stefan said he was going to check Bonnie's place. What does Bonnie have to do with this?"

"The tomb was sealed by a Bennett witch. Therefore, it has to be opened by..." he trailed off, waiting for me to fill in the blank. "If Anna's taken Bonnie to the tomb, then she must have Emily's grimoire, which kept the tomb sealed."

"We're stopping her from opening the tomb, right?" I asked. The town was barely free of 'animal attacks' when there were 4 vampires in town, let alone over 20.

"...Sure," he said, leaving before I could call him out on his bullshitting. We needed to get to Anna before he did.

...

"Phasmatos salves nas ex malon,"  Caroline and I heard. We were standing above the underground tomb.

"We have to stop them," she said.

"Right behind you!" I said. We ran to the opening and dropped down the hole that lead to the tomb. Bonnie was standing next to an elderly woman, saying the words of a spell. They were surrounded by fire, lighting up the area. Anna was about to enter the tomb, holding onto Elena's arm, pulling her in with her. "No!" I said, about to rush in after them.

"Stop!" the older woman said.

"Grams, we can't just let them do this," Bonnie said. "If those vampires get out, they could destroy Mystic Falls."

"No one's coming out baby," she said to Bonnie. "Elena's human, she can get out."

"But the vampires are trapped?" Caroline asked. Bonnie's Grams nodded.

Suddenly, someone dropped down the hole, and Damon was standing in front of us. He walked towards the tomb.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

"Let him go," Grams warned me.

"Katherine," he said. At that moment it all became clear. Damon wanted this to happen, all of it. He came back to Mystic Falls for Katherine. Everything was for Katherine. All along Stefan had told me to trust our brother, but I couldn't. Now I knew why. Katherine.