"It's okay. It's not like anything important happens in homeroom, anyway." She carefully eyed me again before patting the dashboard. "Was Squirtle giving you trouble or something?"

"No."

Our conversation died down, and though occasionally Suzy attempted to cheer me up, she couldn't erase my somber mood. At this point, I didn't think anything could.

There was always a tiny part of that wondered if Appa hadn't fought for us because he didn't want us anymore. The fact that he was still in contact with Eomma, yet never bothered to call or even write a postcard to me, made me wonder if I was the problem.

Shit. It was so much easier to blame Mark.

Suzy was concentrating so hard to figuring out what else to say that were little frown lines on her forehead while she bit her lower lip. Somehow, she managed to look like a little kid and an old lady at the same time.

Despite my crappy mood, I couldn't help smiling at her. Something red poked out beneath her dark hair. What in the world . . . my fingers gently ruffled through her smooth hair and pulled out a single bright-red rose petal. "What's this?"

"What?" She reached behind her head and grasped my hand. The petal crumbled between our fingers. She squinted at it for a moment as though even she didn't know why it was there. "Oh, Appa asked me to help him with Eomma's Valentine's Day surprise. We sprinkled rose petals around her while she was sleeping. Until Lucy stepped on a thorn and started yelling." With a shake of her head, she laughed and dropped it in the ashtray between us.

Roses. The grocery store. I smacked my hand against my head. "Shit."

She stopped fiddling with the radio and looked over her shoulder. "What's wrong?"

"I was going to get you some roses from the store." I shook my head. "I can't believe I forgot."

"It's fine. Don't worry about it."

But it wasn't fine. It only reminded me of why I had forgotten to get the flowers in the first place. My stomach tightened again as I gripped the steering wheel. My knuckled grew taut and pale, and I felt sick. Screw school. "Listen, I'm going to drop you off at school, okay? So no one will see me."

"You're not going to class?"

I forced myself to loosen my grip and drummed a beat on the steering wheel with one hand instead. "No, I have some things to do. I'll be back later."

"Is it that drug-testing thing again?"

Although we'd only been "together" a little while, I had finally told her the truth, and she was mad on my behalf. Even though I didn't care anymore, it was nice to have someone on my side for once.

I could lie and say it us, but knowing Suzy, she'd probably weasel the truth out of me sooner or later. "No, it's not that. It's . . .complicated."

"Hmm . . . does it have something to do with your dad issues?"

I nearly slammed on the brakes. "I don't have dad issues."

"We both do. And yours written all over your face." She gave me a teasing smile and shook her head. "Don't worry. I'm more screwed up than you are. My issues are all over the place." Her motioned up and down her body.

"Really? I'll have to check that out someday."

She poked a finger in my cheek and pushed my face forward. "The only place you'll see that is in your dreams. Now, keep your eyes on the traffic."

"Yes, ma'am." I pulled up in the front yard and parked right by the doors. "If you feel the need to make up an excuse for my absence, don't deny the urge. The more elaborate, the better."