Heat drilled into her, drawing a coating of perspiration from her skin. She tied her hair in a knot, shrugging the top half of her suit off her shoulders, leaving her in pants and a breast band. Ignoring her scant covering and the rivulets of sweat cascading down her back, she opened up the control panel, cursing her lack of tools. Using her teeth, she stripped the wiring, careful not to electrocute herself in the process. The wires cut into her bare fingers, blood and sweat combining into a slippery mess. She kept working with grim determination, fashioning her weapon. Finished, she palmed her handiwork and settled in to wait. The sweat worried her, she could feel the dull ache behind her eyes as her body grew dehydrated. Maybe they put her in here to die.

Her grip tightened on her weapon. She couldn't give up, not if there was a whisper of a chance Daisu lived. He wouldn't give up on her. The bolt clanged, metallic knocks echoing outside as her door creaked open. Another masked figure stood in the doorway, looming over her. It paused, the mask tilting to the side, staring at her. He stared at her, she realized.

Cole seized the moment, launching herself at him, bringing her weapon to his side. The current connected, sending a jolt of electricity through him strong enough to knock him out if she calculated correctly. The current back lashed through her unprotected hands, making her teeth buzz. She pushed through the pain in her burnt fingers, easing the guard to the ground. Cole peeked her head around the door, noting the rough-hewn walls of the dim hall, carved in the rock. To her chagrin there were no other guards. They sent the one? She frowned, wondering if her captors were overconfident or stupid. You never send one person to handle a prisoner; because of the risk they could be overpowered. By a lowly Fey woman for example.

Cole heard the scrape of leather just in time, rolling into the hall as hands closed on air. She completed her roll, rising in a crouch as she gaped at her attacker. She electrocuted him! She felt his body sag, losing consciousness. How did he bounce back so fast? The brute charged her; she dodged, and attempted to zap him again. His fingers closed on her wrist, squeezing until the pressure broke her grip. Before her weapon hit the ground he had her arm twisted awkwardly behind her. She shrieked, kicking his legs. He propelled her against the wall, pinning her down with his body. The movement snagged her hair on the stone, pulling it free. It floated into her face in a dark gossamer cloud, plastering against her sweaty skin. Her guard stilled, reaching up to brush a few strands out of her eyes.

"Easy luv, I didn't come for a tussle."

She froze, thrown off balance. Her theories roared to life with a dizzying force. The guard reached up, yanking the mask from his head. Cole stared at his pale skin, dark grey hair framing a youthful face. A stubble of growth smoothed the sharp angles of his chin and cheekbones, but did nothing to soften the strong prow of his nose. His irises were a startling light blue, almost white, as if the color was leached from them. The language was old, spoken for formal occasions on New Earth 5. Cole knew it from her studies at the university and her time in Daisu's home. She never expected to hear it here.

"You're human," she breathed, fascination piercing the panic and fear she'd sustained since her capture. The adrenaline drained from her system, leaving her light headed. A human, a real live human on Mal'th. This changed everything.

He chuckled, a rich throaty sound similar to Daisu's laugh. "There's the reaction I expected."

"Expected?" Reality kicked in her gut, bringing her back to the present. "Is my crew mate safe?" She stumbled over the words, too afraid to ask the real question. Was he alive?

A frown etched lines in the human's face. "Why wouldn't he be?" His eyes widened as Cole swooned, relief sapping the rest of her strength. "You look half out of your wits..." He trailed off, his cheeks coloring as he realized he had a half-naked woman pressed against him. He cleared his throat. "This is not the introduction I envisioned." He said hoarsely, bracing Cole on his side as he bent to retrieve her shirt. He paused, taking stock of her cell.