Chapter 15: Trouble in paradise

Start from the beginning

I arrived at his company's headquarters and the two security guards let me enter immediately. I went to the elevator and pushed the number 25. He had to have his office on the top floor. He better be in his office. I am not in the mood to search him. The elevator's opened and I walked into Alexander's office. Helen, his secretary, knew me and let me enter the office without notifying him. After all, he was the one who told her to let me go in his office whenever I wanted. Opening the door and closing it behind me I came face to face with my husband.

''Evelyn? What are you doing here?'' he asked setting aside the papers he was holding.

''I came to see you. Is there a problem? Am I not allowed to see you at your workplace?'' I asked and went near his desk.

''No, of course not. You can do whatever you want.''

''Even go around kissing other men?'' 

''What the hell? You are not allowed to see any other man than me. You can't touch, hug or kiss them. You are mine.'' he said possessively.

He was up in a second and in front of me. His eyes had narrowed dangerously and his hands were clenched into tight fists. Any other time I would have smiled at his possessiveness, but now I was furious. I was about to tell him to stop prohibiting things to me when he himself does them, but the door opened and Owen came in like he was in a hurry.

''Ale- Hi, Eve.'' he said and stopped in his tracks.

''Good morning, Owen.'' I replied.

''What do you want, Owen? I am busy right now.'' Alexander asked.

''Eh, no-nothing. It's something about... work. Yeah, work. But since Eve is here, I better get going. I'll come again later.'' he said and made a move to leave.

''What do you have there?'' I asked him gesturing to a magazine in his left hand.

''It's nothing.'' he said and put it behind his back.

''Let me guess. The magazine on its first page has my husband's doing. Am I right?'' I asked him crossing my hands.

''What doings of mine are you talking about?'' Alexander asked.

''Eve, whatever you are thinking, don't do anything rush.'' Owen said.

''What the hell are you talking about, man?'''Alexander asked a little angrily this time.

''Read yourself.'' Owen said and gave him the magazine.

He gave one look at me and the scanned the front page.

''Shit.'' he cursed.

''Did you think that I wouldn't find out? I'm not stupid, dear husband of mine.'' I said.

''Evelyn, listen to me. It's not what you think it is.'' he said.

''This is the typical phrase of someone who cheated and was caught red-handed.'' I replied angrily.

How dare he say that? He was clearly kissing that red-haired woman.

''I didn't cheat on you.''

''I don't want to be a part of this. I'm leaving.'' Owen said and opened the door.

''Tell Helen to cancel all my appointments for today.'' Alexander said and Owen nodded leaving.

''You didn't cheat? And what kissing that woman means to you? A way of saying hello?'' I yelled as soon as the door was closed. 

''I didn't kiss her. You're wrong.'' he said.

''And who was that in the photo, Alexander? A man who looks a lot like you?''