Chapter 5: Unexpected guests

1 week later

Evelyn's POV

''So, where to go now?'' I asked Nadia.

''Somewhere to eat. I'm hungry.'' Nadia replied.

''Me, too. Let's go to the pizzeria that is around this corner.''

''Alright.''

Nadia and I were out for shopping at the mall. She needed some new clothes and jewelry and I tagged along as I wanted to buy some clothes for me and maybe see some things for the baby, too. Two days ago Alexander took me to a jewelry shop. He bought the engagement ring. It was so beautiful. It had one diamond in the middle and small rocks on it. I loved it. When he told me that we went to pick up my engagement ring and choose our wedding rings, I was shocked. At first I thought that he chose something extravagant, but this ring was perfect. I never liked expensive and extravagant things. I always thought that if you have money you should spend it on something useful. It seems that he can understand me a little.

The past week Alexander and I came closer. He made me feel like home. A feeling that I had lost a long time ago. He told me things about his life and started treating like I was family. However, sometimes I can't help and think that all these are a dream and some time I am going to wake up and everything will vanish. There were a couple of times when Alexander became distant and cold. I couldn't do anything about it. I felt so lonely. Sad. Scared.

''So, how is it going with the jerk?'' Nadia asked as we were walking to the pizzeria.

''Nadia, stop calling him that. He isn't.'' I said.

''Are you serious now?''

''Okay. Sometimes he is. We are doing fine. We had talks about both the wedding and the baby. He seems to open up a little.'' I said and my phone rang.

I opened my purse and took it out,

''Speaking of the devil.'' I muttered as I saw the caller ID.

Nadia showed me a table for us to sit and I nodded.

''Hello?'' I said as I sat down.

''Hello, Evelyn. How are you?'' my soon-to-be husband said.

''I'm good. A little tired but good. What about you?'' I asked as a waiter came to take our order.

I showed Nadia what I wanted to drink and let her choose the pizza. She nodded and gave our order.

''I'm fine. Are you really alright?'' Alexander said.

''Yes. It goes with the pregnancy. Don't worry. But did you have a reason to call me other than wanting to know if I am well?'' I asked.

''Actually I wanted to tell you something.''

Alexander sounded a little worried. Or did I imagine it? I have never saw him worried.

''Yes?'' I said.

''My parents are coming tonight for dinner at eight.'' Alexander said with one breath.

I tensed. Did he just say that his parents are coming? In eight hours? I hope he just found out or else he better run.

''They called last night when you were sleeping. I wanted to tell you this morning but I forgot it.'' he said.

He didn't say that.

''Forgot it? Are you an idiot? How could you forget something like that?'' I asked him.

I was very angry. I haven't met his parents at all yet. I'm going to marry their son in two weeks and we don't know each other. I don't know their opinion of me and I wanted to make a good impression to them. How could he forget?