Chapter 33; No Response

Maddie's POV

I wrapped my arms around Mackenzie and close my eyes. Pretending to be sleeping. I keep them closed for several minutes until I know for sure she's asleep.

When I open them again, Mackenzie was knocked out. She was definitely asleep.

I smiled and stroked her cheek. I played with her hair while I racked my brain, trying to think of a reason why she was crying. I couldn't think of one.

Not a single reason. Well, other than John, no reason at all. I didn't think it was about mom and dad, or mom's affair.

Maybe there's something else going on. What if there's actual fighting going on? What if mom and dad are abusing her? And that's why she's so adamant on staying with me I thought.

I shake my head no, knowing mom and dad love Mackenzie too much to even lay a hand on her. Then remembering how dad always refused to spank us as children. I knew for sure that they wouldn't abuse her.

With that in my head I still couldn't think of a good reason why she was crying.

I tried to think, but, sleepiness took over my body and I fell asleep before I could even think of another possibility.

-

I wake up the next morning at 7:25. I quietly get out of bed and out of Mackenzie's grip. Walking out of my room, I head to the kitchen and see the girls eating breakfast.

I take a seat then was handed a bagel, fruit and a drink.

"Thanks," I say tiredly.

"Did you find out what was wrong with Kenzie?" Nia asked.

I shake my head no. "I have no idea. It was so weird. She's never been like this before," I say.

"She never ran away before but she did that," Kendall mutters.

I smacked her round the head and shot her a dirty look. "K, I'm being serious. I don't know what's wrong and I'm concerned that something's seriously going to happen," I say.

"What do you mean?" Paige asked.

"Well you all know she gets depressed easily. It's been that way since she was eight. Remember when she found out we were coming here. She got so depressed she didn't talk to us for a week!" I explained.

"Madz you're over thinking this. Look, her and Johnny are close friends. They got into a fight and she's afraid that she's going to lose her best friend," Brooke explained. "Plus, she was probably really tired too. I saw her sitting in the living room at two in the morning the other night. She probably slept like crap."

I nodded. "Ya she's probably fine. You know I get overprotective."

"That's fine Madz. I think now it's heightened because you have to take care of her and you have to catch up with what's been going on in her life you know?" Chloe states.

I nodded and finish my breakfast. I put everything in the sink then head back to my room.

I sneak in quietly grabbing my clothes. Choosing ripped skinny jeans, a white hoodie, black undershirt and white vans.

I take a fast shower and get ready. I take about 45 minutes then I finally finished. I grabbed my things and sneak out of the room. Letting Mackenzie sleep.

I walk out and see the girls waiting. We grabbed our coats and keys and headed out to get to school.

We walked to the elevator and waited for it to get to the lobby. Once we reached the lobby we put our coats on and headed out.

"Here I'll get a taxi," Brooke said.

She walked to the curb and hailed a taxi over to us. We got in and told him to take us to NYU.

"So when is our project due?" Kendall asked.

"We told you last night Tuesday. Wednesday we don't have to worry about it anymore. Because we'll be back home in Pittsburgh, spending time with our families," I explain.

"Oh ya that's right," Kendall stated.

I rolled my eyes and laughed at her. "You don't pay attention."

"Well I don't want this to be my problem anymore! I want it to be someone else's. More specifically Professor Jelf's problem," Kendall stated.

I nodded and looked out the window as we drove past many buildings, restaurants and businesses. When we pulled up I looked at the large building and sighed.

Have to get to class.

-

When lunch came around the girls and I met up and headed to Applebee's. We get seated almost instantly and we ordered our drinks.

"So have you called Mackenzie?" Brooke asked.

"Nope, I've had lectures all morning," I complained.

I pulled out my phone and texted Mackenzie seeing if she was okay.

Usually she responds immediately. This time she didn't. I just figured she either slept in late or she lost her phone.

"She's probably still sleeping," I say.

"It's one ten in the afternoon," Chloe states.

"Well she was probably tired from yesterday. Brooke said she was up at two in the morning. She's probably just getting some more rest."

The girls nodded and agreed with me. Knowing Mackenzie likes her sleep.

I wasn't too worried because I know when she wakes up she'll text me back right away.

-

It is now 5:00. We decided to see what Kenzie wanted for dinner so we don't pick anything up. We headed straight home.

She hasn't called or texted back which is weird. I'm not to worried though. When we get to the apartment and go inside it's quiet.

"Mackenzie! We're home!" I shout as we entered the apartment.

No response.

The girls and I look at each other and walk around. To see where Mackenzie was.

She wasn't in my room, her stuff was all there. She wasn't in the kitchen or living room. Nor dining room.

"What the hell?" I muttered.

"Guys!" Paige said worriedly.

"What?" We ask as we walked over to her.

"Mackenzie ran away again."

Hey guys, so here's the new chapter. Yup Mackenzie ran away again.

Where do y'all think she went now?

Anyways I want to wish everyone in America a happy thanksgiving. I hope you had a great day. I know I did.

I'm thankful for so much. My friends my family, my dog Jake, my new puppy Hercules, I'm thankful for you guys who read my stories it means the world to me.

Speaking of stories. I think after the new year I'm going to be taking a break from writing. I'm still on the fence but I've been thinking about it a lot and I have a bunch of stories I want to write but I don't have the energy to write them, nor the passion. I have the ideas just no passion.

So I'm taking a few days off. See what happens. Honestly I think I'm burnt out. So much work in doing this and it's just exhausting after awhile.

Also, I've been thinking about deleting old stories like shy girl, I'm coming Mackenzie, and the aftermath.

I don't think they're all that great and honestly, they are so crappy it's not even funny. Like if I'm being honest, what the hell was I thinking writing them.

Anyway lmk in the comments. I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving.

Bye loves xoxo