Chapter 2; Skype Calls

Mackenzie's POV

I waited for the answer. After several rings they finally answered.

"Hey Kenzie!"

"Hi Madz," I waved.

"How's everything? How's school?" Maddie asked.

"It's good everything's good, my friends are good," I say. "How's New York?"

"It's great, the girls and I are having a blast. Oh! Speaking of the girls here they are," Maddie said. She turns the camera and I see all the girls walking in with food.

"Hey Mackenzie!" They shout excited.

"Hey everyone," I waved.

They sat down and started eating. I did the same and took a sip of my soda.

"So Mack, how's mom and dad?" Maddie asked.

"Um... they're good. Busy as usual," I say hesitantly. "Mom's having coworkers and her boss come Friday, and I HAVE to go."

"That sucks Kenz," Kendall says.

"Ya I know," I sighed.

Maddie gives me a look. "What's wrong Kenzie? You're not your bubbly self," Maddie asked.

"Nothing. I'm fine," I lied.

"I'm your older sister I can read can read you like a book. Now spill," Maddie demands.

I hesitate. "It's fine Maddie. Don't worry about it, don't want to distract you."

"No no no, answer her," Brooke insists.

I sighed, "mom and dad are fighting."

"Like just their usual one week arguments? Kenz, they'll get over it," Maddie shrugged.

"No. Maddie, it's not that. They're shouting at each other constantly. It's been like this for a year Maddie. They're not getting over it," I explain.

Maddie's quiet, "do you want me to come home for a bit?" Maddie asked.

Something in me wants me to say yes. But another part of me says no.

I shake my head, "I don't want to be a distraction, for you."

"You're not a distraction, if something's going on and you're upset about it I'll come back home. I'll try and talk to mom and dad if you want," Maddie said.

I hesitate. "No never mind it's fine. I don't know why I called."

I go to hang up but they stop me.

"No you're going to talk to us and we're going to help," Chloe insisted.

I sighed and gave them a look. "Guys, I'm not eight anymore that's not going to work."

"You have five seconds," Paige said, raising an eyebrow.

"Okay okay! It's just, mom and dad are just constantly fighting. I want to go to Brynn's Friday but I can't because of that stupid dinner. And I miss you guys," I admit.

"We'll be back for thanksgiving then we'll be back at Christmas. It'll come before you know it," Nia said.

"As for mom and dad, don't worry too much. If it gets worse, call, I'll come home," Maddie said.

I nodded and held back some tears. I want you home now though I thought.

"Okay Madz."

"I know that look and I know that voice. It'll be okay Mackenzie, I promise," Maddie said.