Chapter 2: On the Line

Start from the beginning

“I’m the favorite I know,” he laughed and set one of the bags on the tray in front of me. “Your mom made me bring her and Dylan food so it’s Chinese.”

I chuckled and shook my head, “Mom loves her Chinese food. This is great, thank you.”

Uncle David handed the other bag over to Demi, “What’s up D?”

I shrugged, “Just sitting around.”

He chuckled, “You act like your mother.”

I laughed, “She’s told me stories about how much she likes annoying you.”

“And it works,” he laughed with me.

Mom and dad walked in the room. “Can we tell you something?” dad asked.

I immediately nodded, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” mom shook her head and sat next to me. “We just have some news about what is going to happen next.”

“Okay…”

“I’ve contacted a few places,” Aunt Demi started, “And I’ve talked with Kayla, Dylan, and David about this and we have all collaborated on a decision.”

“We are still going to give you a choice,” Mom said, “But you have two options.”

I nodded, “That’s fair.”

“Your first decision is to come back home with us,” Dad said, “Where you will be on a lockdown for a while before we can completely trust you again. We will hire therapists, nutritionists, and trainers to come around for your sessions and the only guests that will be allowed are family and Anna.”

“What is my other option?” I asked.

Mom asked, “We have found a sober living house in the same area as we are in now so you won’t have to move far, but your other option is to move there. Anna’s grandparents have agreed to move her there as soon as she gets better too. You will be surrounded by people trying to stay sober and clean just like you. Your therapists and trainers will all go there.”

I looked over at Aunt Demi, “What do you think?”

“I stayed in a sober living house for quite a while,” she said, “and it does help to be surrounded by other people who have some kind of understanding about what you are going through.”

“Okay,” I nodded, “Then I want to do that.”

“You do?” Mom asked.

I nodded, “At least for a little while; until I feel more confident about my addictions.”

“We’re proud of you,” Dad said.

“And we love you,” Mom added.

“I love you too,” I smiled. “Anna and I are moving into the same room today aren’t we?”

Mom nodded, “The nurses should be coming in right now to move you.”

“Is she doing okay?”

A nurse walked in followed by another with a wheelchair, “Anna is healing.”

“Will she be okay?” I asked the nurse.

The nurse nodded, “She’ll be okay. Her body just needs time to heal a while longer before she can wake up. You’ll get to talk to her again soon.”

            Both nurses helped me get into the wheelchair and mom, dad, Aunt Demi, and Uncle David all followed behind with my stuff to the new room. When I was settled into my new bed Uncle David put my food on my new tray. They settled themselves into the chairs by my bed as we continued our talking. Uncle David made me laugh by telling jokes before him and Aunt Demi had to leave for a studio session. I noticed mom and dad have barely separated from each other since I woke up in the hospital. Mom refuses to go home unless dad drives her there and makes sure they both get sleep. It’s rare, but they always make sure someone else is here with me. So far it’s only been Alice. She has nothing to do during the day so she comes over just to talk when Maria and Dave are at school.

“Alice is here now let’s get some sleep,” Dad told mom.

“Are you sure?” Mom asked.

“Yes,” he told her and put his arm around her, “You need sleep.”

“Okay,” she hugged him, “We can go.”

“We’ll be back later, D,” Dad told me.

“Take your time,” I told them, “You’re here too often. You both need to relax a little. It’s already 7 o’clock at night just come back tomorrow. You haven’t left in over 24 hours.”

Dad nodded, “Love you D.”

“I love you too.”

“Love you,” Mom kissed my cheek.

“Love you too mom,” I smiled, “Get some sleep.”

They left and I turned my head to Alice, “Can you do me a favor?”

She smiled and stood up, “Fast food or cafeteria?”

“Ice cream?” I grinned.

She chuckled, “Shake or sundae?”

“Cookies and cream shake.”

“Don’t tell your parents they’ll kill me if they knew I left you alone.”

“Thank you! You’re the best cousin ever!”

She laughed, “I somehow doubt that, but I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

“Thank you,” I said again.

She left and I turned my head to look over at Anna. She’s still asleep and she’s pale. Her grandparents brought a blanket from home and draped it over her. They left an hour ago to get some sleep. They decide they can go home to get rest more often now that I’m sharing a room with her. Anna’s face is still bruised with a few bruises on her arms too.

“You need to wake up,” I cried. “I’m so scared for you. I would have rather had me get injured worse. I’m the one that got me into trouble with them; it’s not fair that you’re the one that is paying for it. I’ll never forgive myself if you don’t wake up.”

I put my hands up to my eyes and wiped a few of the tears away, “I have all these thoughts going through my head and I don’t know how to get it all out. You’re one of the only people I have ever actually written with. You’re the only one who understands my dark thoughts. I haven’t written anything since then because I wouldn’t know how to word it. I’m afraid everything that I would write would be about you. Not that that is a bad thing, but my heart’s breaking because of this. I want everything to be good again. Neither one of us knows what it’s like for both of us to be happy. We met in a rehab where we were both broken and now we’re out in the real world and we’re still broken. We deserve to get past this, we deserve to heal, and we deserve to be happy. As soon as you wake up I want to make another pact. This time it’ll be different. This time we’ll keep the pact for life… I promise.”

THE END CHAPTER 2!!!

feedback? vote and comment please! :) I love hearing what you guys think about the story!

and do you want to start getting sneak peeks on upcoming chapters of what might happen next in my story? Let me know what you're curious about and check out my blog for the answer stronglovaticjb.blogspot.com <3