Chapter 30: Vanity Fair

Start from the beginning

"With your brother," Ewan muttered.

"Yeah, that part is awkward, not going to lie. But Lexa specifically gave them to Seb and me, so we're going to meet him at the station and the fact that it's a date is going to be our secret." Reaching for his hand, I squeezed it reassuringly.

He pulled me in closer and sighed exasperatedly. "Why did Lexa invite Seb, anyway?"

"Um, well..." Caught off guard, I struggled to think of any coherent reason. "Because they're friends too?"

Ewan was immediately suspicious. "You're being weird, in a different way than usual. What are you hiding?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said loftily, squirming out of his grasp.

He snorted. "I thought you were a better liar than this."

"Well I'm wearing heels, and you're standing there looking so pretty, and it's all melting my brain a little," I grumbled. He looked amused, and I relented. "Alright, fine. I guess it's only fair since she knows your biggest secrets, so she probably won't begrudge you this one."

"She likes Seb," he finished dryly.

"You're sharp like a knife, huh," I remarked, raising an eyebrow.

"I prefer 'like a rose,'" he quipped. "It was the only plausible answer; Seb's not particularly fashionable, and what else would make you so uncomfortable?" He grinned at this, and I grimaced.

"Well, it's kind of gross, isn't it? It's Seb. But there you have it, Lexa is gaga for my goofy brother, and she also knows about his Super identity, which caused her major mortification, as you can probably imagine. I don't think I need to tell you that if you say anything or let it slip to Seb somehow, even your Super abs of steel won't save you from Lexa's tiny fists of fury." I looked at him pointedly as I grabbed my purse off the table and headed for the door.

"Oh, I know. It's hilarious, honestly, but I won't say a word. I'm smarter than that!"

"Beauty and brains," I said sugary sweet, holding the door for him.

"Aren't you lucky?" He grinned again. "Seriously, though, I've never known Lexa to be shy about much in her life, so I'm amazed she hasn't done anything about this yet."

"Tell me about it," I groaned, "I've been saying this for years, after I got over the squicky factor. You truly can't force her to do anything she's not ready for so I've sort of given up beyond passive-aggressive comments, because I'm not a perfect person and I can't help myself."

"Let's hope that Seb gets over us too. How long did it take you?" Ewan asked, casually slinging an arm across my shoulders as we strolled along the sidewalk.

"Oh, a year or two," I said innocently.

"Is that all?" He pulled a face.

"Well, we're proper adults now, so I'd hope he'd be a little more mature about it," I chuckled.

Ewan frowned harder. "It's Seb we're talking about here, you know that, right?"

"Luckily it's not really up to him though, is it?"

He saw my determined look and smiled. "Seb who?"

"That's more like it."

The man of the hour himself was waiting for us at the station, as promised.

"Hey guys, you look fancy!" Seb bounded forward to greet us wearing trendy running shoes, jeans, and a sport blazer over a tshirt.

"Looking very 'clueless yuppie' yourself; Lexa obviously didn't dress you. I like it," I grinned evilly.