Chapter 11: Night at the Museum, Villains Edition

I decided to creep a little bit into the room, so I could better see how the Supers would handle this one.

Electron was pacing now, clearly getting impatient. Suddenly, Enigma appeared silently behind him, his golden eyes gleaming in the mist like counterparts to Electron's.

"You know, we have got to stop meeting like this," Enigma quipped.

Electron whirled to face him, and let out a bark of hard laughter. "You shouldn't have given yourself away. Now, I'm afraid you'll have to join the others." His hands glowed stronger and the web reappeared over the room, shifting to cover Enigma.

I twitched involuntarily, wondering if he could have possibly let himself get caught so easily.

Instead, Enigma's shape appeared to melt away. A moment later he reappeared a couple of feet to the right.

"Whoops," he said sarcastically.

The green points of Electron's eyes narrowed, and the web reappeared once more.

Enigma faded in and out, waving his arms. "Uh oh," he taunted. "I could do this all day, but you're only exhausting yourself."

I watched, fascinated. How did he manage that? I knew he could camouflage himself, but I didn't think that would keep the forcefield from binding him.

Electron seemed equally baffled. "No, that's not possible," he insisted.

"Didn't anyone teach you that nothing's impossible?" Enigma asked mockingly.

A sudden hand on my shoulder made me jump yet again, but Seb's voice in my ear reassured me.

"Hey," he whispered. "He's trying to make Electron break his concentration and let down the field."

"How is he doing that?" I whispered back, nearly bursting with wanting to know.

"How did you do it yourself? I actually don't know, he just said he was confident he wouldn't get caught."

A loud pop distracted us both, and for good reason; the other Villains had arrived.

"Too late, Super. Sonic, do it now!" Electron called, stuffing something into his ears.

The Villain in gleaming pale blue stepped forward and started to scream.

But this was no ordinary scream. This was a wave of intense, obliterating sound that pierced your very soul. I fell to the ground, clutching my ears, trying to push the sound waves away from my head. I felt Seb thump down beside me, and a wave of intense pity for everyone who was frozen and couldn't cower away from the crushing noise.

When it had subsided and I was able to look up, I saw that Sonic had darted over to the amulet's case. Or, what was left of it. 

The glass, and presumably the energy barrier, had shattered entirely, leaving the amulet entirely exposed. The light had shattered today, but strangely the other cases and lights remained unaffected. She must have been able to target the power of her sonic waves.

I panicked, seeing that Enigma was still picking himself up off the ground after being floored as well, and probably wouldn't get there before she did. As Sonic reached out and wrapped her hand around the amulet I held fast to it with my mind.

She pulled harder, I pulled back against it. I saw her look around as if she was confused.

"This thing won't budge!" She called out.

"What do you mean it won't -oof!" Electron sounded as though he'd just been tackled, presumably by Enigma. The sounds of a scuffle rang out. "Jumper, get her and the amulet and make the jump!" he yelled, his voice tight. The forcefield was still up.