Epilogue

"Can you call DYFS?"

Four words she wasn't expecting to hear come from a thirteen year old boy's mouth, so it surely woke her the hell up this morning. Tears rolled down the young boy's ivory face. He hoped that she would help him today so he wouldn't have to go back to that hell hole. Bruises covered most of his body that people couldn't see unless he was stripped naked. His ribs poked at his stomach from hunger and every step he took, he felt like he wouldn't be conscious to experience the next.

And then there was his baby sister in Pre-K.

At the time Naiya didn't know how she was going to save those kids but not even three hours later, did she find an amazing foster home for them to go to today. She and three cops went to the children's home, packed their things and apprehended the neglectful parents for child abuse and neglect.

As stressful as this job was, she couldn't see herself trading it in for anything. These were the kids she wanted to help. Children who needed foster care and foster children who needed permanent homes. Thanks to her father-in-law Jackson, she was able to build an organization that prevented orphanages like the one she endured. The organization worked with twenty different homes where a good amount of social workers worked exclusively with each. Many of those social workers, she met in college and through the love of her life. Plus, with the help of her college mentor who she later discovered was her mother, Naima, she was able to provide the children and their new families with psychological therapy which definitely helped their development.

Who knew that going to her dream school would introduce her to her mother? As hectic as her life was at that time, she didn't know if she could take more life changing news but with the help of the love of her life, Naiya was able to finally listen and accept Naima into her life and succeed in college the way she hoped. She was now thankful Naima gave her that call that day.

Naima never did mention Naiya's father for which Keon was thankful. Keon basically paid for Daniel to go away. Though he had  an inkling that she knew, she never talked about it and they all agreed that they wouldn't because she was better off. Besides, Alphonse surprisingly became a father figure to her. He reminded her of the man she turned to for help in getting out of that hell of a foster home she was in. Back then Alphonse was helpful to her and treated her like one of his own. After the birth of his new son, Alphonse became that person again.

Keon Wyatt entered the restaurant she was currently in, followed by their friends. By the look of his jeans, Naiya could tell that he had been painting again today. Shanelle, Torrence and Brendan all followed closely behind him laughing at an inside joke. Ever since Naiya and Keon got those three together, they've been like the three musketeers. When Keon officially devoted himself to Naiya romantically, Torrence and Brendan accepted the fact that their best friend had a new primary best friend and that they had to demote themselves down a level. Shanelle was in the same boat so both sides replaced their "lost friends" with each other.

Keon leaned down to kiss Naiya and poked her left dimple which was a habit now. At first it was annoying but after she realized that Keon didn't care if it was annoying, she learned to accept it.

"Hey baby."

She scooted over for him to sit next to her in the booth. "Hi."

"Hey honey!" Shanelle scooted into the half circle booth to sit on the other side of Naiya followed by Torrence and finally Brendan.

"Naiya my godson still cooking in there?" Brendan asked her, nodding to her protruding belly.

"No my godson is cooking in there." Torrence argued back flipping through the menu in front of him.