Chapter Thirty-Six

Naiya Parker

It felt so good to be that close and intimate with Keon last night. He told me he would stay until I went to sleep and then when I woke up he would be gone for real. I took what I could get. So up until I fell asleep, Keon spent his time kissing me all over my face and neck and held me close while he played that stupid game on his phone. Before I closed my eyes, I remember him saying that he loved me.

Sighing, I finally got out of the bed and started to get ready for my day. Tyler would be here in any minute to take me on that tour of the Spelman and Morehouse campuses which I couldn't wait for. Also, apparently there was this party tonight. Last night Tyler told me that there would be parties just about every night up until classes start. I was skeptical about going to the one tonight but if Keon goes it won't be bad.

An hour later after I had a bowl of cereal and some orange juice, Tyler arrived to my apartment. I brushed my teeth again before he and I left for our day.

"So you excited for school?"

"I'm nervous but I think I'm ready."

"Aw you'll be fine. You're smart and Spelman is a great school. You know my mom went to Spelman."

"Really?"

"Yeah and my sister is in her last year."

Keon is a senior in college too...

See? He's not even the subject and I'm thinking about him.

"She works with campus involvement and she's in a sorority. I told her that I knew a girl coming into Spelman and she wants to meet you. I think she might try and recruit you into her sorority."

"Which one is she in?"

"The same one my mom is in. AKA. They do this loud screeching call I hate it. She's trying to get me in a fraternity but I don't know..."

Kyle is in a fraternity and tried to get Keon in one too....See? There's no use...he'll always be on my mind.

"Anyway we might run into her today either on campus or at that party so I'll introduce you two."

"Okay."

It was silent for a while and I felt Tyler look at me about four times. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course, what's up?"

"I know you said that you were adopted by Keon's father which means Keon is your adoptive brother or whatever. But y'all seem kind of close."

I didn't want to lie to him but what me and Keon have, he just wouldn't understand. "It's complicated."

"Yeah I remember you saying that before but it seems as if there's much more between you two."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm saying...well asking...are y'all like together?"

"...No."

I could feel him looking at me again. "Do you want to be with him? I know this is none of my business and I probably shouldn't be asking this but I see the way you look at him, the way he looks at you, the way he looks at me when I'm around, I hear the way you talk about him all the time...and last night you opened up the door with a hickey on your neck that you didn't have before he got there."

Damn. I swallowed down hard and began playing with my fingers nervous about what he would say next. Because I damn sure didn't know what to say.

"Look it's cool Naiya. I like you but I'm cool with being just friends if you want. I wouldn't want to overstep any boundaries. I just wanna be in the know so that I'm not trying to pursue anything with you and catch deep feelings in the process. If you want him, I'll completely back off and we can be friends."