Chapter 35

"Are you sure about this? Wasting our time is not something I recommend." The first of two men entered the house while glancing back over his shoulder.

"Completely. She's there and has been for some time now." The second man that entered shut the door behind him quietly. The first who had entered removed a hooded cloak and tossed it onto the couch. A long blade swung freely on his hip as he turned towards the second man.

"If you're right then you'll be rich, but if you're wrong...well...let's hope you're not wrong." The man with the sword threatened.

"She's there Kurt I swear it."

Jayce and Jemza glanced at each other as they pressed their backs against the wall on either side of the doorway. Her hand gripped the handle of the poisoned dagger tightly while Jayce carefully slid his sword out of the scabbard. There was a single window leading outside, but opening it and getting out would almost assuredly cause noise. The only doorway was the one leading into the living area where the two men now conversed. In essence, they were trapped.

"I've been looking for her for quite some time now. I knew she would cause trouble. I wanted to kill her back then, and now look where we are. Never underestimate a woman scorned Artemis. It always comes back to bite you." Kurt dropped onto the couch kicking his boots up onto the coffee table.

"She hasn't been idle either. Her group has been hitting your contacts regularly. They broke into the Wright estate just the other night. She's getting bolder by the minute."

"She lacks the strength to oppose us directly so she sends her goons out to create minor problems. I'll pay her a visit and correct her attitude." Jayce shook his head slowly as Jemza bit down hard fighting the urge to dive through the doorway. He didn't blame her, but the dark red cursor above both men's heads gave him pause. These were dangerous opponents for their current level. Two on one they could potentially prevail, but the odds were even and there would be a good chance they would die.

"You're not going to kill her?" The other man named Artemis put a foot up on the table and leaned against his knee.

"Of course I'm going to kill her, but why make it that simple? That wouldn't send the proper message to people like her. I have so much more planned for her. I want to enjoy every moment of it." Kurt chuckled wickedly running a finger over the pommel of his sword.

"Once you confirm my info is sound, when can I expect payment?" Artemis pushed off the table standing up straight.

"I'll go tomorrow evening. If everything checks out then you'll have it the next morning. It will be delivered in the same way you're familiar with."

"I understand, I'll wait for you there. Good night." Artemis bowed and turned to leave, but Kurt quickly sat straight waving a hand.

"Hey! At least stay and have a drink with me before you leave. We have much to celebrate so no need to rush out so quickly. Come, I have glasses in the kitchen." Kurt quickly stood and ushered Artemis to follow him into the only other room in this house. They disappeared into the doorway and Jayce shifted across from where he stood moving next to Jemza.

"We need to go, now." Jayce kept his voice as low as possible taking her wrist in his hand.

"Go? We can't go now. Did you hear them? He's going to kill Rose." She yanked her arm back, breaking his grasp.

"Tomorrow is what he said. We aren't in a position to do anything about it right now. We are at a disadvantage in here. You saw their cursors right? We attack them now and we will die." He didn't know how much time they had, but this might be the only opportunity to sneak out the window.