―FOUR: GREG HEFFLEY THE FAKE FRENCH TUTOR

CHIRAG GUPTA was greeted by a panting Greg Heffley when he walked into the school quad for lunch a few days later.

"Greg, what is wrong? Are you running from bullies again?" asked his friend, worriedly.
Panting, Greg tried to talk but was cut off by Chirag.

"Oh my god, Greg! Are you dying? Okay, calm down Chirag," Chirag told himself and then said, "Don't worry Greg my uncle is an ER doctor and the hospital is a few miles away from here and we can-"

"No, Chirag! I'm not dying! Quite the opposite actually! I've just gotten this great piece of news," Greg acclaimed.

Chirag cocked his head and furrowed his eyebrows.

"You got better than a C in History? A girl has actual interest in you? You actually did well in gym?"

"Athena Sawyer needs a french tutor!" Greg exclaimed.

Chirag still looked confused.

Sighing, Greg said, "I can tutor her in French and then spend time with her!"

"Greg, do you even know any French?"

Scratching the back of is neck, "No," Greg admitted.

"But I can learn!" he enthusiastically added.

Sighing, Chirag quietly said, "Oh boy."

"HI, ARE YOU GREG HEFFLEY?" asked an angelic voice.

Greg looked up to see the source of the angelic voice.

Athena Sawyer stood in front of him, with her backpack slung over her shoulder and a slightly enthusiastic expression on her face. Before he could even answer or let alone say anything, Athena had already sat herself down aside him.

"Hey, can we make this quick? Noelle Delacruz and Taylor Warbler are having a horrendous public breakup right now on the school quad."

Greg continued to stare at her for a moment, but then snapped out of it.

"Uh yeah, let me just help you with some vowels," he said, praying that he would recall the knowledge he had hastily skimmed over five minutes prior to this.

Greg continued to spit out some French nonsense that he hoped was correct while peering at the French textbook as Athena took some notes down.

As he continued to speak and probably butcher the entire French language, Athena's phone pinged. Greg saw as she opened her phone and saw a text notification on the top of many notifications from Snapchat, Instagram, and other text messages. He quickly looked back to the French textbook as Athena groaned.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Chastity texted me and said that Noelle and Taylor's breakup is over and everybody left," she groaned.

"Oh, um sorry," Greg muttered. Silently, he thanked Noelle and Taylor for having a quick breakup and letting him spend more time with Athena.

She sighed and said, "They're even lucky they can date. I can't even have a boyfriend, let alone break up with one!"

"Why can't you have a boyfriend? I mean, I bet a pretty girl like you could have a boyfriend in a heartbeat, right?" he exclaimed. The words had escaped from his mouth.

Athena smiled and said, "You're sweet. And I can't have a boyfriend because of my dad's stupid rule," she said, rolling her eyes. "I can't date anybody until my older sister Hestia dates somebody."

"Well, can't you just get somebody to date Hestia though?"

Athena scoffed and said, "Have you even seen my sister? Hestia's like the most loser breed of angsty teen girl. Nobody would date her. And she's like super antisocial too. She only has like two friends. And maybe she's friends with some goth kids. It's pathetic."

"Well, I bet I can help you..." Greg said immediately.

"Oh my gosh, really? I would be so grateful!" she exclaimed.

"No problem," he said with some newfound confidence.

Athena bent over and hugged Greg. He widened and eyes and smiled, having no idea what he had gotten himself into.

1k reads! thank you so much! 

WORD COUNT: 636