66 - Epilogue -o- Nascence

Start from the beginning

"Only because you were not clear in your intentions. Now, hush. We've gone over this at least a hundred times now," the redhead hummed, waving him off before leaning forward on the ship's railing. "So... Constantinople. Our next mission. To find these... 'keys', and see what Altair is hiding."

"Indeed... we'll need to work quickly. With luck we will find our contact here, soon. I forget—was there a name in the correspondence?"

"No—just that he would find us. I imagine he'll use the Vision, since we're actually wearing local clothing for once," she grinned. She paused, though, as the door to the cabin below was opened, and a young, red-haired young girl appeared. Her shade was a bit darker than Catherine's, and her eyes were a chocolate color like her father's. She had a few freckles on her rounded cheeks, and she radiated a playfulness that was both enticing and dangerous. She, like her mother and father, wore Assassin attire, which was only befitting since she had joined their Order not long ago. She was nearly eighteen now, and just as wild as they were, if not worse, though her training had forged her into a fine warrior when need be. Still, she had her mother's pride, her father's wiles, both their strengths, and a smooth tongue she no doubt inherited more from her father. Many could not resist her charm.

"Diana!" Catherine called, and the young woman spun with a bright grin. Oh dear. She knew that look. Her daughter had found another boy to "court". She was terrible in that way, and put many off guard with it. That she had certainly gotten from her father, and the only irony of it all was that Ezio hated it. She looked to her husband, whom frowned, eyes focused on the young, obviously native boy who came up behind Diana. He had short hair with a short, thick beard to match, and was adorned in green robes that looked of noble make. He carried himself in such manner, too. He laughed at something their daughter said to him, appearing enamored—which was to be shortly rectified as her husband growled softly and moved forward. Catherine caught his sleeve. "Be nice. He looks like a good kid. That, and he could be an ally and you don't know it yet."

"Fine," he huffed, but went on. Diana saw him, and frowned right on back, but she knew what was to happen. Her father, despite her insistence she was a grown woman and could court who she wanted, would not let her do more with this man, and so she waltzed over to her mother's side, groaning with frustration. Much to her Aunt's Claudia's chagrin, Diana had not learned much, if any, etiquette required of an Italian lady, and instead took after her mother too much. Oh, she could keep it in check when required, but she was far too free-spirited to be tied down.

"Oh, hush. You enjoy having a new boy to flirt with all the time," she hummed, brushing a lock of hair from the young woman's face. The redhead pulled her hood over her face indignantly.

"That one is different! He's smart, and kind, and intelligent, and he didn't look at me weird for wearing pants! Do you know how many don't do that? I can count them on my fingers!" Diana growled, pouting beautifully.

Catherine laughed, hugging her daughter, "Oh, hush. You'll find your love soon enough. I was in my twenties when your father and I finally confessed, and I met him when I was nineteen."

"Yes, I know, mother," she half-sighed, half-huffed. "But you didn't have father keeping suitors from you."

Catherine withheld her snicker at that, knowing full well Ezio had done just that. But her daughter was still young and simply a wild spirit. She took after her Aunt in that way a little, and she suspected she might need an Ottavio of her own to claim her heart. But for now, she was her beautiful, wonderful, wild Diana, who had such courage and hope and sense of justice. She had the makings of a strong Assassin in her, and though she'd proven herself through training, she still had a long way to go. This journey was part of that path. Truthfully, Catherine had been wary of bringing both their children, but it was decided it would be for the best; to allow Diana to grow, and to allow Mario to see the world and grow in mind.