63 - Headlong Into the Abyss

July 11, 1486

Venezia, Italy

"Catherine."

The redheaded young woman jumped, her stupor suddenly broken by the familiar sound of Ezio's voice. She looked over to find a plate of food held out for her, but she only shook her head. A light sigh escaped the young man as he set it down on the table before her and then sat down beside her. His arm was around her in the next moment and he kissed the side of her head.

"Catherine, I need you to eat. Or at least talk," he rumbled softly. Catherine could hear the pain in his voice—the anguish. He was worried, and she hadn't made it easy not to. She hadn't spoken since Ezio had promised it would be alright. She'd felt weak—still felt weak. Physically, certainly—the Clock's use exhausted her—but mentally it was worse. Replaying Rodrigo's words over and over and over again in her head was driving her mad, but she couldn't stop it. His voice was still there, ravaging her; taunting her. His threat—his promise. He had a Clock. He could do what she did, and he wasn't as damaged. He was stronger than her, and he knew it. He knew he could win, and it terrified her. She didn't know what to do. It didn't make sense. She was lost and drowning in despair.

"Catherine, just—just talk it over. What all happened. Step by step. Work it out. We can make a plan," Ezio pressed, reaching over to take one of her clenched hands in his.

A shaky breath left her, "I don't know—I don't... I can't..."

"We will... Just... talk it out. What happened?"

"It....," she began, forcing herself to play it—to talk about it. "He said... he's known about it—the Clock. That it's a Piece of Eden. What it controls. He's known. He knows I'm not from here, either—this time."

Ezio's eyes narrowed, "How is that possible? I lived with you for years and didn't figure it out."

"Apparently.... Apparently I'm not the only one—from my time. Someone else came. He didn't say who. Just... someone else. Or, no—a man. Rodrigo said the man told them he was from the future and probably dressed like me. I don't know how, but... Rodrigo got the power. I don't know how. I don't even know how I got the power exactly. But he has it and he knows to use it—he saw I was weaker. He knows I can't last as long. He knows I couldn't kill him before, either. He just—he knows, Ezio! He knows so much! I can't use it against him! And now he has the power!"

"Shh, shh, calm down—it's alright," Ezio called, pulling her close, but she shoved him away as water pooled over her eyes.

"No, it's not okay, Ezio! It's not fucking okay!" she shouted, standing up suddenly and running her fingers through her hair. "He knows! He's promised to kill all of us, and I don't know if we can stop him! I don't think we can! He—he has some plan or—or something! He sent the boat to Cyprus to get something—some greater power. Something your father knew about and must have tried to stop him."

"My father?" the young man breathed, standing up with her.

Catherine threw up her arms, "Yes—he... he mentioned Giovanni couldn't stop him from this greater power."

"What power?"

"He said—he said something about... about a vault. Some Vault—that he's going to open it—I don't know! It didn't make sense. But it's supposed to happen when the boat returns with whatever he's after. I just—I don't know. I don't know. It's just... whatever is in this Vault is bad. He says he can make all of Italia bow to him. And kill all of us. Whatever's in Cyprus—it... he's after it. He's going to use it to kill us."