59 - Young Blood I

February 14, 1486

Venezia, Italy

"My God! I am so glad you arrived here safely! Oh! I was so worried! You left with only that letter, and then it was not safe enough for you to write more and then you suddenly wrote about how you were coming again, and—!"

Catherine held up her hands for peace from the fretting artist, although it did little. It was true; when they left Venezia not long ago they had not been able to say much to Leonardo beyond that they had not killed the Doge as most believed, but rather tried—and failed—to save him. Regardless, they had to leave quickly and without a word, and that to write to him was dangerous. Antonio had helped some by letting the artist know they arrived home safely, but that was it; to send anything more could bring threat upon their companion's life, so they had remained quiet. It was only a week ago they finally send correspondence of their return. The redhead was starting to think they should have written more, however.

"Peace, Leonardo. We are alive and quite well. We didn't want to keep secret from you especially for so long, but...," Ezio replied, grasping the artist's arm gently.

The man sighed, "I know, I know... still—I think I may have lost some years off my life! Worse still, you are wanted by the guards. I have seen the posters, and themen still occasionally search, although not as often."

"Why do you think we're in these clothes?" Catherine chuckled, motioning to their tattered garbs. Dressed like common men—she had her hair hidden in a hat—of Venezia. Not quite thieves, but certainly not nobles, either. It was too dangerous still, it seemed, to wear their usual garb, although they certainly would at night and later on. For the trip, though, they decided to play it safe.

"I would have preferred to see you in the dress, personally," her lover smirked, to which she rolled her eyes.

"You saw me like once in one at Claudia's wedding and then that other thing with the nobles, but that was it. Calm down. You know I prefer pants, and you secretly find it kinky," she snorted right on back, to which he shrugged.

"As much as I enjoy your banter, I am afraid it is not bringing me much peace," Leonardo sighed, shoulders drooping.

Catherine smiled, "Sorry, Leo. You know we don't like making you worry. It's just... times aren't too great."

"You are here to kill again, are you not?"

"...Yes. We are," Ezio frowned. Their comrade sighed again, shaking his head, but held his hand up to keep them from saying more.

"No details. I know better. You have sanctuary here, and I am happy to offer my services in any way I can. So what will it be this time? You need my flying machine again?"

"No, not this time. We're wanted in all of Venezia right now—we don't need to make it worse."

"We need to keep low-key this time for sure," Catherine added, frowning herself.

"Well, perhaps you are in luck!" Leonardo chuckled, shaking off his earlier dismay, although the redhead knew it lingered. "It is Carnevalle in Veneiza. This is the time where everybody goes without a face!"

Ezio glanced to Catherine with a slight cheeky grin, "That... is, in part, why we're here. We were hoping you might have some masks we can borrow?"

"Of course, of course—somewhere in here... Where will you two be staying,? I have the spare room...?"

"No, we'll stay with Antonio again—one of the safe houses. We can't involve you more than this. We don't want them to come after you," the redhead replied, hands on hips. The artist frowned, but nodded as he rummaged through a chest by his desk. "Although I would not mind it. Your bed is probably better than the one in the safe house."