12 - The Days We Care About

August 4, 1476

Florence, Italy

Saying good-bye had always been easy for Catherine. She supposed it made her crass or uncaring, but it just had never been hard. Maybe it was because she hadn't really had to say it yet-maybe it was because she hadn't made that close of friends that she could care enough for. She hadn't really said good-bye to her mom, either, although she wished she had gotten the chance to do so. Whatever the case, saying the word had been as easy as most any other conversation.

Except now.

Now it was hard. Difficult. Impossible, even.

Her throat was tight as she sat there in the parlor, everyone going about things as they usually did after dinner. Giovanni had yet to inform them all formally, but he intended to soon enough. In fact, he was in the room-something he rarely was able to do. His children, of course, were delighted, and Maria was, too, although she knew of her leaving. The older woman had said nothing of it thus far, and Catherine had been left completely alone for the most part when she and Giovanni had returned yesterday and throughout all of today. She'd said the usual pleasantries where she could, and even gave a few waves here and there to the boys, but otherwise she was left be to get her things ready secretly. Annetta had helped with that, and she now had her things in a pack in a chest; ready to go tomorrow morning. While she was glad for the help-and to have her old clothes back-she was sad to have it, too. She could only smile as such at Annetta, and the woman could only give her the same kind back.

And now she was here, in the parlor, wondering how the hell she was going to do this. She didn't know how to really say good-bye to people-not ones she cared about. Did she just say it like she usually did? Just hug and say "bye" or "so long" and that was it? Or did she give them some long-winded speech about how she'd never forget them or how she would always write and come visit even though it was a lie? Did she tell them it would be alright even if it wouldn't, and leave with smiles? Would she cry as she hugged them? What did she do? She didn't know. She hated not knowing. She hated feeling so awkward. She hated having to say good-bye.

Catherine let out a soft sigh, watching the family go about their fun. The sun set late here in Italy, and so there was plenty of light for Federico and Ezio to play their game of chess. The younger brother was, as always, no match for his elder, but he was trying hard. Claudia was next to her mother, working on some needlework and giggling and gossiping with her. Petruccio sat beside the redhead, happily drawing away, ever oblivious to her unease-something she was glad for. She wasn't sure she could part with him or even begin to tell him. No, she needed Giovanni to do that, and she could see the man was prepared when she looked over at him, sitting in the only remaining chair. He was gazing at his family with a smile, one he shared with her, though a touch of sympathy was there just for her. He knew this was painful, and after a month they were finally getting along well. She almost felt like he might consider her something close to a kid, but she was probably just thinking too much into it. She wanted to think it, though, so why not? Why not believe a little white lie?

"Catherine," she heard Giovanni say, though it was soft enough only she noticed-everyone else was too engrossed in their activities. She looked to him and her heart sank. It was time. He didn't even need to tell her for her to know, and so she nodded, which was his cue to stand. The movement was enough to catch his family's attention, and they paused to look up at him expectantly. The only ones to not do so were Catherine, whom clenched her fingers tightly in her lap, and Ezio, whom looked to the redhead with a hint of concern she missed.

"I am afraid I must bring sad news; tomorrow morning Catherine will be returning to England."

There was a distinct gasp of horror from the young boy next to her, and she didn't dare look over to see his distraught face. She thought she heard Claudia gasp as well, but she was too busy staring at her hands to notice.