"Hi, I'm Annabeth Chase, Bella's step cousin," she introduced herself. "You must be... Billy, right?" The man nodded, and Annabeth stepped over so that he could enter the house.

As he wheeled through the entry, Billy said, "It's nice to meet you, Annabelle."

"Um, it's actually—"

"Annabeth, sorry. It's just a name I hadn't known of before. I wasn't sure that I'd heard you right." Annabeth frowned a bit at that. "My boy, Jacob, is getting the fish out of the back of the truck."

"Fish?"

"I usually bring some over that I've caught from the rez. Charlie loves it."

"Oh." Billy wandered into the living room, where the game would be starting soon. Annabeth wasn't sure who was playing tonight.

Her head whipped around as she heard a door slam. She had left the front one open, and could see a figure in the evening drizzle. Soon enough, the person made it through the doorway, looking down at the foil-wrapped plate in hand. "There's not as much this time, Bells, Dad didn't have as much luck. Sorry about—" Jacob looked up, and his voice faltered as he laid his eyes on Annabeth.

"Bella's in the kitchen. I'm her step cousin, Annabeth, and I'm staying with them for awhile. I guess you can take that," Annabeth motioned toward the plate, "in here." She began to turn and make her way towards the kitchen, but stopped when she realized that Jacob hadn't moved, and that he was just standing there, staring at her with the weirdest look on his face. "Um... Are you okay?" Jacob still didn't move. She took a step towards him. His eyes followed her every movement. This guy was officially starting to creep Annabeth out, which would not be very good for his health in the long run. Annabeth didn't like to feel threatened, and, these days, basically every tiniest odd thing seemed to be suspicious to her.

"Hey, Bella," Annabeth called. She didn't get an answer. "Bella," she said, a bit more urgently.

"What is it," asked Bella, coming out of the kitchen. "Oh, hey, Jake. Jake?" Bella stepped towards her friend. "What are you doing? Are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah," muttered Jacob hoarsely, still with his gaze locked on Annabeth. He cleared his threat, and then seemed to force himself to look away, handing Bella the platter of fish. "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm great. Got anything to eat?"

.x.X.x.

THE ENTIRE MEAL was awkward, mostly because Jacob spent so much time staring at Annabeth that he barely ate anything, which was very unusual for him, and he wouldn't get into any of the conversations. The second Annabeth finally cleared her dish, she dumped it into the sink and excused herself, apologizing muttering something about a goodnight's sleep before the first day of school.

As soon as the sound of Annabeth's feet on the stairs ended, Bella turned on Jacob. "What the heck was that?" she nearly shouted. Jacob grinned at her sheepishly.

"Bella—"

"You completely weirded her out!"

"Bells, listen—"

"She'll think that I'm friends with a total wacko!"

"Bella, listen!" said Jacob, raising his voice over her own. At her glare, he quickly lowered his tone, smiling excitedly. "I think I just imprinted."

Bella stared at Jacob in shock. If she had been holding something, she would have dropped it. "You... what?"

"You remember what I told you about imprinting, right?"

"Yeah, of course I do. I just..." Bella thought for a second. This would mean that Jacob would finally be over her. He had found his one match, his true love, his soul mate. "That's fantastic, Jake! I just know that Annabeth will like you, and after that, it's only a matter of time before she falls in love with you!" Jacob grinned. "Of course, it'll take a bit of convincing after rhe way you behaved tonight. You probably scared her off."

Jacob frowned. "I didn't mean to stare, but I just couldn't help it. Did you see the way her hair curled, and shined in the light? Or that different misty color that her eyes were? And how her teeth practically sparkles? Or how—"

"Jake," Bella interrupted. "Focus."

"Sorry."

"How are you going to explain all of this to Annabeth?"

"See, we're allowed to tell the person that we imprint on all about the legends and such, but I'm not sure how well Annabeth's going to take the news of me being bound to her."

"Probably not lightly," admitted Bella. "And, Jake? I'm pretty sure Annabeth mentioned something about a boyfriend earlier today." Jacob's head snapped towards her at that.

"No, she can't," he said. "That's awful."

"I thought you said that a wolf will become whatever his imprint needs him to be—even if it's just a friend."

"I know," sighed Jacob, "but it'll just be hard." He looked back down at the table, glumly.

"Um..." began Bella. "Jake, I can't promise anything, but I can say that I will at least try and help you win Annabeth over."

"Seriously?"

"Seriously." Jacob jumped up happily, and crushed Bella in a hug. "Thanks a million, Bells." Bella laughed.

"What are friends for?"

_______________________________

A/N: NO ONE PANIC. IT IS STILL PERCABETH!