Chapter 15: The New Plan

Katara lead us not to the radio station, but to the healing center. There she lead us up to a man that was getting a sting ray barb taken out.

"This is Captain Inigo," she said. The captain grimaced. The barb the healer had just pulled out was about 3/4 of a meter long, and the end was covered with blood.

"Um," I murmured, "there was something you wanted to tell us?" Captain Inigo grunted and nodded.

"Aye," he said. "I was out on me boat, fishing, you see. Had me little fisher boy look out for me while I was doin' it."

"Why?" Khanu interrupted. The captain glared at him with his dark eyes.

"If you would let me finish, you would find out!" Khanu backed away and nodded.

"Now, where was I? Oh yes! I had me fisher boy looking out for me. We were mighty close to Earth Kingdom territory. Don't know if you've heard, but that part of the Earth Kingdom doesn't like us much.

"Sometimes if they see us fisher men get too close, they do crazy things." He shuddered at the thought. "Anyways, I was fishin' along when me fisher boy tapped me. 'Captain!' he said. 'There is danger up ahead!' He had his telescope in his hand, and I couldn't see nothing, so I didn't pay him any mind.

"But not 10 minutes later, he tapped me again. 'Captain!' he said. 'There's danger up ahead!' I looked real close, and I still couldn't see a thing! 'Boy,' I said, 'quit trying to act helpful. There ain't nothin' there!

"Then the boy tossed me his telescope. 'Look through that!' he said. So I did. And I could not believe me eyes! There was a boat real far back with couple of Earthbenders in it! They were doin' somethin' down under the water.

"From what me eyes could see, they were pickin' up some rock from the bottom of the sea. And it was a huge slab, too! But what they did with it was crazy. Once they picked it up, the pushed it down with all their might. And didn' know they were doin' until the tsunami came."

(A/N: I got this idea from the tsunami that came to the Philippines a couple years ago. From what I was told, a part of the tectonic plate (don't remember which one) was sticking up. Like, part of the plate was on top of the other. Anyway, the part that was sticking up fell, and when it did, it created a huge tsunami.)

Once he was done talking, nobody said a word for a long time. We all just sat there in stony silence. Finally, Morada cleared her throat and said, "I wonder why they wanted to cause a tsunami."

Khanu scoffed. "Isn't it obvious? They're using our own element as a battle weapon against us!"

"But why?" I ask. "They already have some of the North's citizens! I understand we're at war here, but why?" I shake my head, not wanting to continue.

I hear a sigh and turn around to see Prince Zura was absent mindedly stroking Zenith's fur. In all the commotion, I'd lost track of Zenith. Some friend I was.

"Luna," he said. "You know how parts of the Earth Kingdom were taken over by the fire nation, right?" I nodded. "Well, that gave the Earth Kingdom a bad reputation. It was almost too easy for the Fire Nation to take over."

"But that happened over a hundred years ago!" I exclaimed. He shook his head.

"That's not the point. There are still people there who want to prove to the rest of the world that the Earth Kingdom is not weak. "

"So by brainwashing Water Tribe citizens," Morada said, "they're proving to us that they're not weak? Where's the logic in that?"

"The logic," Katara said quietly, "is that they have a weapon the rest of the world has only heard of. The logic is that if they openly use that weapon, the other nations will fear them instead of pitying them."

"That logic is for crackpot old fools," Captain Inigo said. We all nodded in agreement.

"So what are we going to do about it?" Khanu asked. "Are we going to stop them or what?" Katara looked at me.

"My dad told me your plans," she said. "And I understand that they are to help you. But you can't risk staying in the North for 6 more months." My shoulders dropped.

"Yeah, I know what you mean. But where should I go?"

"The Western Air Temple. Seek out Jinora."

"But isn't the Western Temple next to the Earth Kingdom?" Khanu asked. Katara smiled smugly.

"Yes, but is the Earth Kingdom currently warring with the Western Air Temple?" I smiled.

********************

As I was packing up the few belongings I had taken with me, someone knocked on my door. "Come in!" I yelled. It was Prince Zura.

"Hello, Luna," he said with no emotion. I waved.

"What brings you here?" He sighed and looked out the window. I could see underneath his eyes are deep lines etched into his skin.

"I wanted to talk to you about your trip. I think you should take Morada with you."

"It's not that I don't want her to, but why?" He closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of nose.

"Morada has been protected for a long time. She has only see the outside world a couple of times."

"Is it because her eyes glow?" Zura nodded.

"The spirits have given her the gift of prophecy. It is a blessing, but also a curse. But I want her going with you because she can guide you." I bite my lip.

"But aren't you afraid something will happen to her?"

"I trust you enough to keep her safe. The Avatar wouldn't let anyone die, now would they?" I shake my head. "Good." He turned and walked to the door, but stopped.

"Oh and Luna?" I look back. "Make sure you are able to distinguish your friends from your enemies."

---------------------------------------------

Well that's the end of Book 1! How'd you guys like it? Book 2 is coming out in April so stay tuned! Feel free to comment and don't forget to vote! I will see you in the next book!

Ciao!-Lauren

P.S. I'm thinking about doing a fun fact chapter. Maybe not in this book or even in any. It might be on my message board. And I certainly won't do it until the last book is totally published. What do you guys think? Yes? No? Maybe so?