Chapter 12: Places and Spaces

I'm not sure how long I wondered around. Perhaps 30 minutes. I had decided as soon as I got out of the building, I was going straight to the bridge with the water symbol.

Unfortunately, the streets were kind of crowded, and I had no idea where I was. And it's a horrible idea just to stand out in the streets. I got knocked into a cabbage merchant's cart, who screamed, "MY CABBAGES!!" after they got knocked to the ground, before I realized I should move.

I wondered around, asking people where the bridge with the water symbol was. The first person I asked just shrugged and walked away. The second told me there 3 bridges that has that symbol on. The third person was blind and didn't know what I was talking about.

I was wondering around a less crowded street when I heard someone call out, "Oi! Luna!" I turned and saw Khanu running down the street. He wrapped me in a bear hug once he got to me. I staggered back in surprise.

He finally let go, but kept his hands on my shoulders. "I thought you'd been kidnapped or something, Luna!" I press my eyebrows together.

"Why would you think that?" I ask. He smirks.

"You think your voice doesn't carry? I know about the tension, Luna." I blush. I hadn't thought I was talking that loudly. "Anyway, we need to hurry up or else Katara is going to be really mad if we're late."

**********************

"There you two are!" exclaimed Katara as we set foot onto the bridge. Next to her was the man I'd seen barge into the starage room. It was the Chief's son. Katara put a hand on his shoulder.

"Guys, I want you to meet Zura. Zura, this is Khanu and Luna." We bowed to each other. I was careful not to meet Zura's eye.

"Come," he said. "We must go before my father and aunt become anxious." He stepped off the bridge and into the crowds, leaving us to follow him. I frowned. Didn't Katara just go to meet with them? With a shrug, I follow.

It was easier to get through by following Zura. The crowds (magically) part, making sure he has enough room. I could see their faces. They were full of grudging respect.

We stopped in front of one of the bigger buildings. Zura had barely knocked when the door swung open.

"Prince Zura!" a man's squeaky voice says. The man was defiantly below 5'6" (5 and a half feet), had long hair pulled into fishtails going down his chest, and deeply majestic blue eyes. The man bowed deeply to Zura, then to each of the rest of us.

"Take these people in," Zura said to him, "show them their rooms, and alert them when supper will be served, which is in about 2 hours." The man nodded and bowed again. Zura walked away without saying what he was doing.

The man motioned for us to come in. He led us down a hallway, stopping about in the center. He pointed to the room to our right. "For you, ma'am." It was a couple moments before Katara realized he meant her. Blushing, she stepped inside. Pointing across the hall, the man says, "For you, sir." Khanu nodded, but didn't move. The man shrugs and finally points to the one to the left if Katara's, saying, "And for you, miss."

I step inside and marvel at how amazing it looks. There are paintings on the walls, a big window, and many chests and drawers, including a walk-in closet. The bed sheets are made of satin, with lots of throw pillows. As I take in everything, Khanu plops on my bed, puts his hands behind his head, and sighs.

"Do you mind me sleeping here?" he asks. "Yours is better than mine." I roll my eyes.

"You haven't even looked at your bed," I say as I pull open a drawer to find blue night clothes inside. "Plus, where am I going to sleep?"