Chapter 14: The Tsunami

Katara rushed over to where the man collapsed. What if the man had died? Katara checked his pulse.

"He's still alive!" she shouted. I clapped a hand over my heart in relief.

"Where the heck would a tsunami be coming from?" Khanu asked, standing up and walking over to the door.

"I'm not sure," Zura replied, "but we can ask the people on the ships out there."If they're still there, I thought. We all hurried out the door, all except Katara who stayed behind with the unconscious man.

It was absolutely chaos on the street. Civilians were running from the coastline so they could escape the wave. And I knew why.

The wave was huge. It hadn't hit shore yet, but already it was taller than the buildings. I saw Desna, Eska, and Zura running towards a one story building. I quickly followed with Morada and Khanu right behind me.

Inside, there were radio operators everywhere. There was at least 30 people in there, each of them with a black typewriter. Many of them were listening to reports in headsets and typing them out on the typewriter.

"Modern technology uses a lot if electricity," Morada explained. "Water and electricity often have disastrous results." I'd wondered about that. Katara's boat had a lot if things I'd never seen before. But that was because Cakuho had refused to make contact with the people out there and get that modern technology.

"What's going on out there?" Desna asked one of the operators. The lady shook her head.

"We're not sure, sir," she replied. "Many of our boats have lost their signals. Some of them were swallowed by the wave. Others are coming back as soon as they can."

"So we don't know the cause yet?" Eska asked. The operator nodded.

"Couldn't we try to stop it?" I asked. "The wave hasn't hit the shore yet." Khanu looked at me like I was crazy.

"Luna, that wave is huge! And it's not like people just stop tsunamis!" I frown.

"But we're all Waterbenders! We should be able to do it!" Zura scratched the back of his head in thought.

"You know," he said, "that isn't such a bad idea. Once we've got it stopped, we can have Waterbenders in airplanes pulling the wave back so that it doesn't crash all over the city." Desna nodded.

"We can use the troops for more man-power."

**************************

I looked out across the sea, the wave gradually coming closer. The troops above said that the wave was about 2 miles away, but would be here any minute now.

"It's almost here!" Zura shouted. "Assume your positions!" We all held out our hands, ready to push against the wave. The water was up to my knees because we weren't catching it on shore. That was too risky.

The wave was coming closer and closer until it was almost in top if us. "NOW!" Zura exclaimed. I, and the hundred that were in the water, pushed at the wave.

Pushing at nothing was easy. Pushing a 3 ton wave back was not. The force of the wave knocked several people down. I dug my feat into the sand, determined not to fall. Zura had told us all before that it would take a while to get the wave to stop coming at us full force.

At first, I could use most of my strength to keep it up, but after it seemed like 20 minutes, my arms started to feel like goo. I turned to look over at Khanu. His face was blood-red from the strain.

"How much longer do you think we have to hold it for before the force settles down?" I yell over the sound of churning water.

"I'm not sure," he replies. "Maybe 30 more minutes?" Just then, the wave jolted forward. I temporarily lost my balance, but get scrambled back up quickly.

"If this keeps happening," I say to him, "I'm not sure if I can last 30 more seconds!" Khanu just shook his head and smiled.

*********************

"OK!!!" I hear Zura's voice call out. "I've just radioed in to the plane to tell them that the force has mostly stopped. They're going to pull the wave back to the ocean. When you feel the wave moving back, gradually let go!" How that walkie-talkie survived through the ocean spraying water at us, knocking us down, etc., was a mystery.

After a few moments, the wave started receding. As it did, less force was applied to our arms. Nobody helped push the wave back for fear that they might mess up the delicate process of pulling it back. Finally, the wave was pulled completely away from us. I could see the plane in the air, Waterbenders slowly pulling the water back.

My entire body felt like jello. I could just barely stand. Khanu had collapsed in the water. Morada was over near Zura, so I didn't know how she was holding up. I came over to Khanu and sat down next to him, even if we were in the water.

"I could literally take a 300 year old nap," he said to me. I laughed.

"Then you'd die in your sleep," I replied. He shot water at me right in my face. I wiped it off and while he was laughing, shot some in his face. He spit water out of his mouth and gave me a menacing look.

"Oh, you asked for it." He waterbent a huge blob of sea water straight onto me. While we were bending globs of water onto each other, Morada came over.

Shaking her head when she saw us, she said, "You two are so childish!" Khanu and I grin at each other. Together we bent a humongous glob of water and sent it straight for her. She landed in the sand, not moving. I couldn't even see her chest moving. After a few more moments, she still wasn't moving.

I gasped in horror and ran over to where she laid. "Morada," I said while shaking her. "MORADA!!" I looked over at Khanu. "I think we've killed her!" Panic spread across his face. I turned back to Morada to see her opening up one eye. A grin spread across her face.

"We were just playing games," she said innocently, "right?" I rolled my eyes. As we help her stand up, I saw Katara running towards us.

"There are Northern ships coming in," she said once she got to us. "They couldn't dock because of the tsunami. But one of them has important news." She stares right at me. "News I think you should hear."

---------------------------------------------

Hey guys and gals!!! Thank you so much for reading! I have almost 500 reads. YAY!!! You guys are the true heroes here for reading my (ok) story. Spring break officially started at 3:55 pm yesterday. I was literally counting down the periods until we got out. Hope everyone has a great spring break! Don't forget to comment any suggestions or to vote!!

Ciao!-Lauren