Chapter 4: The Visitor

Mako got up and slid open the little slit for his eyes. "What can I help you with?" he asked. There was a muffled reply at which Mako chuckled at and opened the door. "Come in," I heard him say.

If I were to tell you that the person that walked into the room was Mako's brother, you wouldn't believe me at first. The man had soft green eyes, salt-and-pepper hair, with ripped muscles all over him. In his legs, his torso, his arms, his neck. If there hadn't been the warmest smile on his face, I would've taken him to be the most powerful Earthbender of all time. But, the most powerful people of all time don't normally have smiles on their faces.

"Bolin," he said, reaching to shake my hand. I took it and was surprised to find that underneath all his calluses, there was a hint of warmth. Perhaps, I thought, Earthbenders up here are much different from the ones down in Cakuho. "Luna," I replied.

"You're the Avatar, aren't you?" I raised my eyebrows, surprised he knew. "I am," I said. "But how did you know?" Bolin set down the traveling bag he was carrying on his back, and a plume of dust went up.

"Well," said Bolin, "you obviously aquired her looks, and that aura of power that she had. Korra, of course. Though you probably don't want me comparing." I heard Miro sigh next to me.

"Can we please discuss what the plans are right now?" he asked. Bolin nodded, and plopped into the empty seat next to Mako. "Thank you. Now, what exactly was this 'plan' of Avatar Korra's?"

"Well," Mako began, "since Korra never got to explore the world, and learn all the elements from each respective nation,-"

"It was done for her own good," interrupted Vashmu.

"-because she was locked up in the south pole, never knowing what the people of the Fire Nation were like, or the Earth Kingdom."

"Well, she learned the elements, didn't she?"

"And she had to sneak away just to learn airbending!" Mako finished, his face red and in Vashmu's, whose face had also gone red.

"She didn't have to sneak away!" Vashmu spat. "She was just impatient!"

"Do you even rememeber what was brewing at that time?" asked Bolin. "I think in that matter, she was right be impatient"

"Plus, being impatient to learn is a good thing," added Zen Whi.

"Now don't you dare start taking sides!" Miro exclaimed.

I looked over at my brother, trying to see if he was going to do something. But the only thing I saw was his face trying to hide the remarks he was keeping in. So that left me to do something. Knowing that yelling could definitely silence a crowd, I yelled, "QUIET!!!!!!!!!"

Everyone gradually stopped talking, and looked at me. "Look," I said, "I think we need to just calm down, and think about it. I think that Avatar Korra's idea is a reasonable suggestion, however, it is not the only one." The last part was for Vashmu, who was giving me a pointed look.

"How do you mean?" Zen Whi asked.

"Well, we could get bending masters to come here. Or any place, really. I'm not entirely sure how Avatar Korra's bending training went, seeing as though the White Lotus disclosed that information."

"And for good reason!" huffed Vashmu.

"But wouldn't you get sick and tired of the same old scenery, though?" asked Bolin. I shrugged.

"Maybe."

"It's only a suggestion, right?" Chen asked. When everyone gave him an assortment of perplexed looks, he quickly stated, "I just don't want her cooped up in one place again. Part of the path of the Avatar is knowing how to meet everyone's needs. You can't do that if you haven't seen the world."

"Then let's take a vote," Mako suggested. "All in favor of staying here to train?" Vashmu lazily put his hand up. "All in favor of traveling the world?" Everyone else raised their hand up.

"It's a majority win!" Bolin exclaimed, waving his hands in the air.

"Then it's settled," said Miro. "The Avatar will travel the world to train." He turned to me. "Where would you like to start?"

"Water," I blurted. It was the first thing that came to mind and I'd always been interested in it. "But how long would I spend learning waterbending? And where?"

"There are two places," Zen Whi answered, "the North Pole and the South Pole. I recommend you go to the South first. It's all about pride in this war."

"War?" I asked. "What war?" Zen Whi looked like he was trying to bit his lips off. His skin was getting very pale.

"What?"' he asked, trying to sound casual. "There's no war! I mean, come one! Why would there be one?" Miro gave Zen Whi the death stare while Vashmu shook his head. Bolin was trying to smile, but it looked forced. The only person in here besides Chen and I who didn't know what was going on was Mako. He looked as confused as I felt. But I knew it wasn't to be discussed here.

Trying to drop the subject, I said, "It's probably just a figure of speech. But I think that's a good idea. Spend some time in the South first, then the North."

"For how long in each place?" Chen asked, moving along the conversation.

"How about 6 months?" Zen Whi asked. I nodded, knowing that that was a reasonable time frame.

"And more time can added!" Miro said. I smiled. The future was looking quite bright.

"And how about the next element be air," suggested Mako. "You can go in reverse order of the cycle of the Avatars."

I smiled. "That sounds like a marvelous idea."

"And you can learn from Jinora!" exclaimed Bolin. "She'll teach you everything you need to know about being spiritual!"

"Uh," Mako started, "Jinora is not exactly young, Bolin." Bolin shrugged.

"Then her offspring will help her."

"So what about fire?" I asked. "What am I going to do for that?" Mako cracked his knuckles.

"I think I can handle you, Luna," he said. "Not now of course. Perhaps in 2 or 3 years, after you're done with water and air."

"But first," Bolin said, standing up, "I want to see what exactly you can do with a rock."

--------------------------------------------

Hey you guys! Thanks so much for reading my story! And a special shout out to my Pinterest friend/reader Kim Bennett!! The next chapter (and possibly chapter 6 as well) will have what you asked for!

Ciao! -Lauren