Chapter 8: The Truth Revealed

"You're the Avatar, aren't you?"

My hands hover above the bowl. No, I thought. He couldn't have figured it out. Then I laugh. He was probably just trying to figure out why a girl could could hit him so hard with water.

"You've got to be joking," I say, dipping my hands into the water. "There's no way I could be the Avatar." I got up and looked up at him, daring him to say it again.

"Yes," Izumi says, backing me up. "There is no way a waterbender like Luna could-" She stopped before she could say anything else, but it was too late. Khanu had heard her.

"I knew Mana wasn't your real name!" he exclaimed. He limped over to where I was and reached out to my face. I slapped his hand away. He kept his hand up, frozen in place. "I'm not going to hurt you." I relaxed, but still stayed alert. He brushed my bangs to the side.

"Yup," he said. "I knew it. Green eyes; the color of the earthbenders." I felt tears prickle my eyes, and it looked away. I had failed Katara. No one was supposed to find out who I was. Not just because of how little I knew, but because of long it had been since the last Avatar.

The rest of the world just isn't ready for you, Luna, Katara had told me. Because of the gap between Avatars, many now believe that the Avatar cycle has ended.

But, if they were to know that I'm here, wouldn't they be overjoyed that it hasn't?

No. They'll be angry that you left them for so long in a world without the person who understands the spirits. We can't let them know about you until you're ready. And by ready, I mean a full-fledged Avatar.

I quickly wiped away my tears. It was of no use now. Khanu already knew. I sigh and turn to look at him. He's smiling so wide, I can't help but ask, "What's so funny?" He laughs.

"I know something Mai Ling doesn't know," he practically sung. And if he knows something she doesn't, that's an accomplishment. Mai Ling knows everything that goes on around the dojo. "She is going to be so jealous that I found out first."

"NO! You can't tell her!" He frowns.

"Well, why not?" I tugged at the strands of hair on the sides of my face.

"For reasons you're not supposed to know about. You weren't even supposed to know that I'm the Avatar, Khanu!" Before he could contradict me again, I added, "And those reasons are classified as well!"

"Why? It's not like I can't keep a secret." Bapu huffed loudly.

"I've never heard her speak if you, sunny," he said gruffly. "I'm thinking she doesn't know you that well. Why would she trust you then, sunny?" Khanu put his hands up in surrender.

"Ok, ok," he said. "I get it, you don't trust me. But what if I were to prove you can trust me?" I crossed my arms, trying to look professional. But considering the fact that I came up to his chin, I wasn't all that intimidating.

"I'm listening," I replied in a bored voice. But on the inside, I wanted so badly to trust him. If the fact that I was the Avatar didn't bother him, then maybe Katara was wrong.

"Well, if we go to that party- you know, not together or anything- and I spend all my time with Mai Ling, and don't tell her a peep of what I just found out, you'll know you can trust me."

"How will I that you're not telling her?"

"Why, you'll be with us of course!" I was afraid of that, I thought.

********************

"Mana!!" Mai Ling cried, waving me over to where she and Jung Ho were. Unfortunately, Khanu was also making his way over to where they were.

"Hello ladies," I heard him say as I walked up to them. "And, ah there she is! Hello there Mana!" Jung Ho gave me a weird look. I shrugged.

Anxious to make things less awkward, I asked, "So Mai Ling, I thought you were only inviting Class #4. This looks like the whole dojo."

"Well, I was going to invite just us, but my mom reminded me that there was only 5 of us, so I extended the invite!"

"That sounds fascinating, Mai Ling! Do tell me more!" Khanu said, a smug expression in his while he was dacinf me. Mai Ling's face was full of surprise.

"Um, ok. Well, I had to figure out......" I tuned her out and looked around the place. Mai Ling's family had a much bigger house than Bapu and Izumi did. That being said, Mai Ling's parents were being smart and only having the party in one room. As far as I could see, they were also the only chaperones.

As I continued to survey the place, my eyes landed on Sung Ho, who was alone in a corner, staring at our little group. His face was sullen, but when he saw me, he turned on his joker face.

"Why are you all alone?" I mouthed to him. He shrugged, then pointed at Khanu. Ah. We'd stolen his best friend. I waved him over. He shook his. I waved more fiercely. He shrugged, then walked over.

"Hey, Khanu," I said. "Look who's coming over. Sung Ho. You know, your friend. Why don't you go hang out with him?"

"Why don't we all hang out together? Much easier." Jung Ho grabbed my arm.

"You know what?" said Jung Ho. "Mana and I need to go for a sec." As Khanu started to follow us, she quickly added, "To the bathroom." She raised her eyebrow at Khanu why reluctantly stopped following us. She steered me towards the bathroom, closed the door behind us, and locked it.

She pointed her finger at me and said, "Ok, I want to know what's going on between you and Khanu. And before you say that there's nothing going, I would like to point out that he's not leaving you alone even when you give subtle hints to." I sigh. I knew I couldn't tell her the whole truth, but half would work.

"He's just trying to prove he can still be around someone who beat him so badly." I bit my lip. Even to me, that sounded pathetic. Jung Ho crossed her arms.

"Oh really." I hated lying to her. It just wasn't like me. But Katara's warning kept echoing in my head. So I crossed my arms as well.

"Yup." It wasn't exactly a staring contest, but I knew blinking meant I had to tell her. And I wasn't about to blab it all again to someone else. Finally, she sighed and looked away.

"Fine. I guess I'll have to believe you. But I'll still be watching you two like a hawk." She knew I was lying. She thought she couldn't trust me. I felt a pang in my chest. She exited the bathroom, leaving me to do one thing: give Khanu my trust. I'd already had knife in my heart.

I walked over to Khanu, not caring that he was talking to Sung Ho, and dragged him about 5 meters away.

"You don't have to talk to Mai Ling anymore," I tell him. "I trust you enough that you don't have to prove it." Before he could answer, I skulked off and out the door. To say the least, I felt miserable the whole walk home.

---------------------------------------------

Hey guys! This chapter, I know, wasn't that all exciting but there has to be transitions throughout the story, and this was one if them. Don't worry, the next chapter will have more action! Promise ;)

Ciao!-Lauren