Silly Little Wattpad Gangs

Hello fellow bookworms! (Yes, I did just assume that you liked to read. Because if not, why are you on this site?)

Let's have a little chat about Wattpad Gangs. Gangs include Mafia, groups, troupes, etc.

It seems always the main character is the daughter of the head of "one of the biggest/largest/most feared gangs/Mafias/Groups/Troupes/etc in insert country name here." (Basically a bunch of interchangeable adjectives.) Now for some random reason, she really doesn't care about the fact that her family is creating a ton of crime. In fact, in the stories set in the dramatized version of high school, the Main character with ties to the 'largest/biggest/baddest/most-feared' gang in said country, is actually the 'good girl' .

Her love interest, who is 17 happens to be the head of the rival mafia. Because you know, it makes perfect sense that a seventeen year old runs things. This rival mafia is becoming more and more powerful (cue oohs and ahhs).

So it makes perfect, logical sense that he is the Bad Boy. (I'm not going to go into this, because this was covered earlier).

So basically, you have a 16 year old daughter of a huge Mafia/Gang/Group/Troupe/Etc, who goes to school with the head of another rival Mafia/Gang/Group/Troupe/Etc. This cliche bump ins, like almost knocking the other over, and such.

Until there is some major threat that makes the two have to work together and they fall in love. And despite coming from separate gangs, their relationship is perfect.

I'm sorry, but are we reading Romeo and Juliet? Separate Houses, yet two star crossed lovers love each other...

No?

Okay.

To me, it's a lot like Romeo and Juliet.

Except without the you know, suicide of Juliet and Romeo.

Oh and if the author wants to be super cliche, the gang is a werewolf or vampire gang.

Anyway, these gangs seems a little ridiculous. The author builds them up so it's like the gang controls everyone in the country/region/continent. And that they kill people on a regular basis, but the citizens don't seem to worry that much, other than:

"Oh my gosh, Becky Beckington Beckfield was murdered by that gang by Becklake, near Becksley ."

"Really? Well, you know, they are the biggest/baddest/ most feared gang in _____."

"I know! They are so scary. I heard the leader is like 17."

"Wow! Oh look the lighting is perfect for a selfie."

The people only care when it's convenient to set up the plot. And the main character never seems to care. They are too much in live to be bothered by the fact that the 17 year old love interest is ordering the killing of Beck Beckington Beckfield and the whole Beckfield family. It's all sunshine and roses.

The way Wattpad tosses around murder like it's candy from a toy is a little sick. It's one thing if it's part of a murder mystery, but it's another thing when the main character doesn't care.

Wattpad characters are very ignorant and naïve. They don't care about certain things, but care when it's convenient.

Stop being stereotypical.