o n e

➸ ➳ ➸

➸ ➳ ➸

it was cold.

he remembers that.

the waves crashed down along melting sand, running around his feet as the boy drank in salt and sound. 

he was drowning in his thoughts, standing there, above the waterline as the world prepared to hide from the moon. 

the university frat was playing volleyball.

loudly. 

he remembers that.  

he remembers how the sun was setting, how the water was a red so rich it felt like his essence was bleeding into the water. 

and her.

the other one.

he remembers her too.

the one standing at the edge of the water, one hand curling around the edge of her sweater sleeve, the other carding through her locks as she too, watched the sun melt. 

he remembers her hair.

it was stained with the ocean's breeze, falling across her hazel eyes and the dusting of faint freckles atop her nose.

he remembers her turning, the way the sky graced the highlights in her cheekbones, the way the shadows along her jaw sharpened.

the pain he felt, deep in his soul when she captured him in her gaze. 

"i don't get it."

"get what?"

her voice was a caress of orchids, blossoming with a scent so softly fragrant.

"you."

she was barefoot, imprinting the ground as she shifted to face him.

"not many do."

and then she left.

he remembers that too.

  ➸ ➳ ➸  

an.

please take a moment to tap that star and vote if you liked it!