Legalization of Drugs

I support legalization and decriminalization, not usage. I have a list of reasons why.

1. It's useless. Banning drugs hasn't done anything to keep them off the streets. Drugs are illegal but people still get them. People will use drugs whether they are illegal or not banning them is pointless.

2. Drug cartels will fail and America will be safer. Drug cartels are successful because drugs are illegal. Since the drugs would be off the blackmarket, the violence would vanish. To add on, drugs will be cheaper and people won't have to steal money. Street crime will decrease.

3. The quality of drugs will increase and less people will overdose. This is simple supply and demand. You wouldn't be forced to guess how strong and pure the drugs are. People will obviously buy the better stuff. When the quality increases, less people die of overdoses.

4.. We won't have to waste money on the drug war and the prisons won't overcrowd. America leads the world in drug use and we spend over 1 trillion a year. We have they largest prison population is history. The drug war has failed and it's been a waste of money. Just think about all they money that would be saved if drugs were legal.

5. It's not the government's job to tell people what they can and can't put in their bodies. I don't like drugs, so I don't use them. As dangerous as they are, individuals don't need the government to protect them from themselves. The entire drug war has done nothing but waste money and restrict personal liberties. It's a private activity and people shouldn't be jailed for it. In attempts to "protect" drug users, the government simply ruins their lives even more. If people want to use drugs, they should be allowed to.