Chapter 14. Meeting Gramps

Chapter 15

Isla's POV...

"I have someone I want you to meet"

Me and Ryder had just finished watching fast and furious over a bowl of popcorn. Just as the film had finished Ryder turned to me, welcoming me in a closed conversation. Before I knew it Ryder was driving me to where ever we were going, after he told me he wanted me to meet someone important to him, I didn't ask no questions and for that reason he didn't give me no answers. As we pulled up outside of an elderly home curiosity took over me.

"Why are we here?" I asked Ryder.

He just looked at me before sending me a saddening smile. From then he continued.

"My Gramps lives here, he has one of the first stages of Alzheimer's, the illness hasn't got too bad yet."

"He's the only other person that understands me, other than you" he whispered.

As we walked through the home I looked around saddened by the amount of ill patients here, all knowing that each one were most likely suffering. I looked to the corner of the room to see an elderly man looking outside of the window, as soon as he turned around to face us I instantly knew who he was.

Although his features had aged you could tell that he was a relation of Ryder's. There eyes were identical, Ryder definitely had some of his Grandpas features. He indulged Ryder in a heart warming hug before turning to face me.

"And you must be Isla, I've heard a lot about you dear" Just as the words left his mouth he took my hand placing a soft kiss on the back of my palm.

"I'll just go get us some caffeine, I'll leave you two to get to know each other." Ryder said smiling towards his grandpa, I could honestly tell he meant everything to Ryder. Ryder felt like his gramps was the only family he had left, that cared anyway.

Just as Ryder walked away and I sat down, his grandpa began a conversation.

"My boy thinks the world of you Isla, even if you don't see it" he smiled sweetly.

"He's been such a good friend to me" I said, honestly. His grandson really was a great asset to him and I could tell that he was so proud of Ryder.

"Ryder's a good boy Isla, despite some of his decisions and choices, you just have to be patient with him. I really hope to see more of you round here, it's nice to have some company. It's always nice to know my grandson is in safe hands"

Just when Ryder returned his grandpa sent a quick wink my way as if to say not to tell Ryder about our previous conversation which I fully understood, because a conversation like that could boost Ryder's ego and let's be fair, it's already big enough.

I loved listening to Ryder and his grandpa talk so openly about the soccer. I could tell that Ryder didn't have to pretend around his grandpa, which I totally understood as his grandpa was so easy to get along with.

I understood why he felt like his Grandpa was the only one left because he was the only one that really knew him and when his illness gets worse it's going to really affect Ryder.

After an hour and a half of listening to Ryder and his gramps bicker about the soccer, visiting hours where over and it was time to leave. After Ryder had said his goodbyes, his Grandpa tightly hugged me before whispering in my ear.

"Look after my boy"

As a response I quickly sent a saddened smile towards Ryder's Grandpa.

"Come see me soon, it would be great to see you again too Isla"

"I promise, I'll come see you soon" I replied as a response from both of us. I was really intrigued by this man.

As we were walking out of the home Ryder took my hand in his, I could tell that he was upset from the events of today so as reassurance I squeezed his hand slightly before sending a sweet smile his way. I really have started to see a new side to Ryder Daniels.

Ryder's POV...

I'm really glad I took Isla to meet gramps today, I always promised him since the day I first spoke about her id bring her to meet him, and I did.

On the way home she didn't give me any sympathy about how ill my grandpa was, and for that I was great full for.

"Your grandpa is a great man, I really want to go see him again sometime soon if that's alright with you?" She asked.

I'm glad she bonded with my grandpa so well, as my grandpa is the most important person in my life. It really is important that Isla does get his seal of approval, even if all we are is just friends.

"Of course, I go every Sunday so your more than welcome to join me whenever. He really likes you, you know that right?"

"I'm glad he does, I know the way you feel about him. I can see it in your eyes, you feel like he's all that you have left"

She was right. Ever since my mom died he was the only one that kept me strong and fully understood me. He's the only thing I have left to remind me about my mom, he's the only one that still actually talks about her. I really wish Isla would have been around to meet my mom, they'd have got on so well.

"He's the only person that makes me some how feel closer to my mom, I'm scared that when my grandpa goes no one is going to be around to help me, not anyone that understands anyway" I said honestly, everyone I ever love always ends up getting hurt. Everyone ends up leaving me, and that isn't me feeling sorry for myself. It's the gods honest truth.

"You have me" She said, lightly squeezing my thigh. I broke contact with the road a head and looked into Isla's eyes. From then onwards I realised, I was falling for Isla Garcia.

A/N

I am so sorry for the slow update, I've just been so busy lately I haven't really had the time. To make up for it I'm going to do a double update tonight.

So what do we think? Ryder so far seems to be the one falling first. Will he keep his head in the game?

Please vote/comment.

Thankyou.

Lauren x