The Betrayal

"Please meet me at the coffe bar near the train station, 10:00 AM. ~ Hiromi"

Hiromi sent that fax to me. I didn't know what was that going to be. It wasn't the Hiromi whom I knew. In fact, she never brought me to a coffee bar before. What would happened?

It was already two days after the graduation's ceremony. Just said it Wednesday, 7:00 AM.

"Are you up, Kari?" Mom asked from downstairs, like she usually did.

"I am," I said while wiping my sleepy eyes. "What's wrong, Mom?"

"Nothing, Sweetheart. It is just your father wants to talk with you about something."

"Something... It must be something that isn't too important." I thought to myself.

"Kari?!" Mom called me, her tone got higher. "Come downstairs. He needs to talk with you."

"Just listen to her," Nīchan's voice whispered to me as I got up from my bed. "It must be something important, because it is not usual that Dad wants to talk with you. Hmm?"

I got extremely awkward moment when I found him sitting next to me, and I only wore tank top, not pajamas. Last night, the weather was hotter than usual, so I decided to wear tank top. I didn't know why, but I already said that I didn't like if my body was visible, and I immediately covered it with my blanket.

"Eh? Why? I'm your brother---literally his ghost---and I'm dead," Nīchan said. "I'm not going to do anything with you. If I did, that was nasty."

"Just shut up already, Noriaki Nīchan!"

"What the...?? Okay! Okay! My bad! Oh, if you don't want me to see you with that tank top, just wear a jacket immediately."

Without saying any words, I immediately tried to find a jacket but all I got was his old t-shirt in my closet.

"Hey! Who placed your t-shirt in my closet?"

"Just wear whatever the thing you found there, Kari. Stop blaming on Mom or Dad for keeping my clothes in your closet." He said, I could see his eyes were closed. He didn't want to see me 'naked' anymore, but I got to admit, it was the first time he got me in this extremely awkward condition and 'naked'.

I didn't know what to do, and he wasn't wrong at all. Wear whatever the thing you found there... Alright and I was too damn lazy to find my hoodie.

Talking about the t-shirt. It was a black t-shirt. I could remember the time when he bought it was when our family still lived in Osaka, and he was 14 that time. His body was still the same like the first time he bought this t-shirt, an ideal slender build that match with his above-average height 178cm tall. Hence, it might be possible that this t-shirt was still suitable for him, if he was still alive.

I immediately wore the t-shirt. "Nīchan, what do you think?"

"I have no idea that all this time, the t-shirt was in your closet," He said. "Well, you look cute as usual, but the t-shirt is too large for your body. That's okay, because it was an emergency. Hahaha! Eh, by the way, that's yours now. Just accept it as my gift for your 17th birthday, Kari."

So he did remember my birthday? Thought he had forgotten about it.

"Well, come downstairs. They must be waitin' for ya," He said. "I'll be there waitin' for ya too."

Oh right! I forgot that Dad wanted to talk about something 'important'. "Alright! I'll be back, Nīchan!"

I came downstairs and found my parents were sitting at the dining room. Dad read the newspaper, and Mom was still finishing her meal.