The Forest's Gift

Raven really needed a break after shoving a few alphas out the door, but was in a slightly better mood when the new betas performed perfectly during their first day at work. Her flight home was same as normal; a few alpha newcomers tried to hit on her, backed away after a couple shallow scratches, then fled back to their homes after a show of dominance. The forest surrounding her house for several miles in any direction was alive with the sounds of wildlife. Wolves howling to collect their pack members to settle down for the night, crickets giving the last chorus of the day, and birds flying back to their nests.

Then, a baby cried out.

No, not a baby animal, a baby human. To say Raven was confused would be an understatement, so, of course, the omega went to investigate. It took some time to find the baby, but when she did she was even more surprised - if possible - to find a cherub. What was a baby angel doing in the middle of a forest next to a town dominated by demons? It wasn't even an ugly baby, it should have been the pride of the family with its snow-white wings and powder-blue eyes.

Where demons pride themselves on strength, angels pride themselves on beauty. So why was the most beautiful angel Raven had ever laid eyes on abandoned in the middle of a forest? Where were its parents? Why was it over a hundred miles from the nearest angel town? Raven gazed into the impossibly blue eyes of the cherub and leaned forward to scoop it up, omega instincts going wild over the abandoned child; even if it was an angel. She'll care for the child until someone comes looking for it. Or until it's old enough to survive in this cruel world.

Raven spread her shimmery blackish-blue wings and took off towards her house, speed was of the utmost importance - who knew how long the cherub had been abandoned in the forest! The baby's crying had only increased on the short flight to Raven's house, despite the calming hormones Raven had been giving off subconsciously. Rushing inside, Raven dashed to her cupboards - surely her sister had left some baby formula on accident the last time she brought her newborn baby over.

Yes! Raven grabbed the formula along with a baby bottle and sprinted to the sink to fill the baby bottle with lukewarm water. Impatiently, she checked the temperature of the water. When she found it acceptable, she poured the baby formula in the bottle, filled it with the lukewarm water, and shook it up. As soon as the formula had completely dissolved, Raven soothed the baby enough for it to eat. When the baby was done, she put it on her shoulder to burp it.

I have never been more grateful that I helped Amity with her baby. Raven thought to herself as the cherub finally calmed down into a peaceful sleep. Depending on how the cherub slept, Raven could either set it down in a nest, carry it around with her while it slept, or lie down in a nest with it. First things first, Raven decided. What gender is the cherub? I can't exactly keep calling it an 'it'. 

Carefully, Raven unwrapped the blanket around the cherub - without waking it up thankfully - and checked. Alright, a girl, perfect. So much easier to raise according to Amity.

Suddenly, Raven realized she would need a nursery. The cherub couldn't always sleep with her, it would be better if she had her own room, especially once she started to grow up. Maybe her first birthday present could be her own room, Raven mused, then frowned. "When were you born? You look to be about ten months old, so let's say January seventeenth. At least until we can find someone who knows your exact birth date." She frowned even more. "Why were you in the middle of the forest in the middle of winter? You're lucky your wings are developed enough to keep you warm. Though, for how warm you were when I found you, I'd say you probably have an affinity for fire."

Raven started to hum slightly when the cherub stirred in her sleep. Once the baby had calmed down again, Raven slipped into silence again. "Now then," She smiled softly at the sleeping angel, "what should I name you?" The cherub, of course, didn't reply. "Hmm . . . let's search the web for some beautiful names fitting of the most beautiful little angel I've ever seen."

Continuing to smile softly, Raven walked over to her computer with the cherub in her arms, not quite willing to lay her down yet. She started humming an old lullaby as she typed in her password and opened her search engine. "Oh," She exclaimed in a quiet voice, "Lucinda. It means beautiful light." She grinned at the little cherub, who seemed to sense Raven's excitement and opened her eyes with a giggle. "What do you think little one? Think you would be proud to have the name Lucinda?" The angel giggled again and reached up to Raven's wings, seemingly agreeing with Raven on the name Lucinda. Raven giggled with her when Lucinda ran her small hands over Raven's wing, dislodging a loose feather. "Huh, I must have missed that one when I groomed the other day." She grinned down at Lucinda, who had her eyes wide in wonder at the sleek feather in her hands. She looked back to Raven, who stretched her left wing out for Lucinda to explore. The cherub just looked at Raven's wing, then tried to stretch her own wing out and compare the dark feather in her hands to the snow-white of her own wings. She scrunched up her face when the colors didn't match and looked at Raven's wings again.

Laughing, Raven moved her wing close enough to Lucinda for her to compare the feather to Raven's wings. The cherub laughed when feathers brushed against her little feet, dropping the feather in her hands to grab at Raven's wing. Raven winced when the cherub pulled sharply on a flight feather and moved her wing further away, preventing Lucinda from pulling more feathers. "Sorry little one, but my feathers aren't supposed to be pulled out." Reached down, Raven grabbed the feather Lucinda dropped and handed it back to her, "You'll have to make do with this one until I molt again."

Raven sighed when Lucinda put the feather in her mouth, "I should probably get you some teething toys, huh?"

 oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

A/N: Hello people of Wattpad! Thank you for choosing to read my glorious book! Kudos to all! Anyways, I hope you like my book so far! I don't really have a clear view of where I want this to go, but I already have a plot forming in my mind and several scenes planned out. I'm not really sure of how often I'm going to update, it will most likely just be whenever I feel like it, but I promise that I'll try to update at least once a week! This chapter was exactly 1,100 words, but - hopefully - future chapters will be a bit longer! If you like the book so far, please heart, comment, and follow! Seriously though, the more comments I get, the faster I update! Comments are my inspiration, so don't be shy! I promise I won't bite! Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated! Unfortunately, school starts tomorrow for me - honestly, this is the worst possible time for me to injure my dominant hand playing volleyball - so wish me luck!

Oh, and to anyone wondering, the writing prompt at the top of this chapter is not what got me started on this book! I just thought it fit the chapter since Raven is a demon! Warning to all: This book has alpha/beta/omega dynamics, but - unlike most omegaverse books - the omegas will be fierce like alphas, only they're still submissive - if that makes any sense. Alphas are fierce dominants, betas are generally a mix of dominant and submissive, and omegas are fierce submissives. I got the idea of making omegas fierce from the phrase 'Mama Bear', plus the fact that, with most animals where both parents take care of the young, the mother is usually much more protective than the father because she takes care of the young when the father is out hunting. It just makes more sense than having omegas be meek submissives when the alpha/beta is the first line of defense. Wouldn't that make the omega/beta (depending on the pairing) the last line of defense? Shouldn't the last line of defense be even more fierce than the first line of defense? Especially since they're more like cornered animals?

Anyways, thank you for listening to me rant. Comment any questions or suggestions you may have! I'd love to answer them!