XVI; THE BRIDGE

.*•.☼.•*.☼.•*.

  FUN DOESN'T LAST forever, not on the ground at least. There's always something to be worried about or someone to run from. The danger was always knocking on the delinquents' door, patiently waiting for them to make the slightest mistake.

  "If we get out of this alive," Asteria spoke while walking through the woods with Bellamy, Jasper, and Raven. "Remind me to kill Finn for ruining my night of rest."

  "You could still have it, you know," Bellamy told her. "It depends if whether we get out of this alive like you said, but still."

  The mention of Finn's name still made Raven awkward, and to make things better, she started a small fight with Jasper.

  "Both of you shut up," Bellamy demanded, turning to see them and shaking his head as a joke to Asteria. "Keep your eyes open."

  He picked up some nuts from the floor, assuming Clarke left them there for them to follow.

  "You think it's going to work out?" Asteria asked the leader in a soft whisper.

  "After all they've done to us," He started, with a hint of pain in his voice, haunted by the memories of the lost delinquents. "I don't think they are up for comparing survival stories and have tea with us."

  Asteria laughed, remembering those as the words she told him their first day on Earth. She wasn't expecting him to remember what she said, after all, she was the lonely stranger that entered camp looking to be safe.

  "I bet you were scared," She teased him, elbowing his left arm. "And that's why you remember it."

  "Bellamy, are you really going to let her talk to you like that?" Jasper added, making the four laugh.

  "You weren't scary," The leader defended. "You were really dirty and creepy, that's true."

  "So, scary then?" She questioned again, smirking.

  He just shook his head, making his curls dance around and smiled, lifting some of his freckles along with his cheeks. That was the first time Asteria noticed the simplicity of his life, endless and timeless, trapped in a laugh.

.*•.☼.•*.☼.•*.

  The backup team made it to the bridge, getting there after Clarke and Finn. The youngest Blake was already there, and even from that distance, Asteria could tell she was drowning in nervous.

  Everyone was pointing their guns at the bridge, waiting for the grounders to appear. They weren't going to shoot unless there was a threat falling upon their friends' souls, but they wouldn't be taken by surprise either.

  "Someone's coming." The leader stated.

  Lincoln appeared first from the other end. He was running towards Octavia, which ended up in them embracing each other. Asteria smiled to herself, while Bellamy's jaw clenched in anger and disgust.