Chapter 10 - Azriel

Azriel, and the rest of the Inner Circle, had been stunned by Aelin's show of immense skill as she sparred with Cassian. The commander was the best warrior that Azriel had ever come across - was even considered to be one of the greatest Illyrians in history - so for him to be beaten by the Queen of Terrasen was a testament to her ability.

She'd swaggered inside without a hint of agony from that nasty slash on her leg dealt by Cassian, but the shadowy wisps at Azriel's ear commanded him to follow. He knew better than to ignore them.

He found her easily enough, following the trail of dark red splotches along the floor.  Aelin was leaning against Rowan in the hallway, hands pressed firmly against her thigh to stop the flow of blood. 

"Illyrian blades do that. Slow the healing process, I mean. Something in the content of the metal." Azriel approached and offered a hand to the Queen, which she gratefully took, although not without noticing the scarred and mottled skin. "It's useful for us, although not so much for our enemies."

Azriel didn't expect Aelin to reply, and neither did Rowan. Whitethorn was clearly too engrossed in taking care of his wife to pay any heed to Azriel's words. The shadowsinger thought he could relate to that kind of fierce love. But then again... could he?

The infirmary was down a short flight of stairs and along the corridor. Azriel bandaged Aelin's leg, while Rowan prowled the corners of the room. The spymaster didn't need his shadows to tell him, had seen enough of Rhys', Cassian's and Lucien's behaviour around their respective mates to know that the Fae male was being a typical protective husband. Her wound was shallow, but had scratched through a major vein, hence the bleeding. With a mouthful of some pink flowers found on Prythian's riverbanks, she would recover within a day.

As Azriel worked, he could sense Aelin's attention on his hands. His hideous, disfigured, cursed hands. But it wasn't disgust that made her watch. Voices at his shoulder whispered that he had found a kindred spirit. Someone who was also scarred, who had endured horrors, but had survived. The tales these voices told, tapestries they weaved, it was sickening to hear of a woman barely into her twenties who had experienced such pain. He shut the whispers out. He had heard enough from them.

His fingers stilled as he made the final knot, and the Prince Consort rushed to her side. Aelin waved her husband off, eyes not leaving Azriel's scars. Her brow furrowed slightly, and she murmured for Rowan to wait outside. Azriel turned away and began to clear the supplies.

"Your scars..." Something had changed in her voice. It was softer, and yet there was an edge to it.  Darkness wrapped instinctively around his body - layer after layer after layer until his limbs were swathed in impenetrable shadow.

Aelin noticed his unwillingness to talk and instead rolled up her other trouser leg to reveal a vicious scar that ran the length of her calf. She pointed to it.

"I got this when I was captured by my aunt. One of her minions thought it would be amusing to see me without the use of one leg. Needless to say, once I was strong enough again, I got my revenge." She smiled, a mixture of wickedness and agony written on her face. Azriel's shadows faded slightly.

"And this one-" she gestured to a wrinkled, pink mark on her wrist, "-I got when my master, Arobynn, told me to break my hand so that I could learn to sword fight on my other side." Again, that smile. But it wasn't pity that Azriel felt. No, it was understanding. A twisted kind of empathy for the hardships they had both survived.

Aelin proceeded to point out a variety of scars that decorated her limbs, from the tiniest flecks to the most vicious reminders of the violence she had faced. Each one had a story; each one caused Azriel's shadows to fade a little bit more. Only the faintest wisps remained when she turned away and lifted the back of her tunic to reveal a masterpiece: tattoos matching Rowan's, the strokes of ink flowing over skin that was ravaged by scars.

"These were from Endovier," she whispered. The voices at Azriel's ear were screaming at him, recounting the woeful tale of Aelin Ashryver Galathynius: rightful Queen of Terrasen who had been doomed to slavery. The darkness twining around his fingers vanished altogether. Azriel's trade was secrets, and he would have none with this woman; Aelin had told him hers, and now he would bestow that same gift upon her.

And so he held out his hands and began to speak of his time underground, unable to carry the night sky upon his wings and hear the laments of the wind in his ears. He told of his brothers, his father, and the pure malevolence that lead to the disfigurement of his fingers.

Once he had finished, there was simple understanding and utmost respect between them. Two warriors; two sufferers; two dreamers.

Silence held court for a long time until Aelin finally spoke.

"We all bear scars, ours just happen to be more visible than most." The line seemed rehearsed but was sincere. Perhaps it was a well known saying among her people, or a quote from a famous poet in Erilea.

"Rowan tattooed my back before I was captured by Maeve. They told the story of my friend, Nehemia, and of my parents. One round of whipping from Cairn and it was ruined. But when Rowan re-inked it, I felt stronger. Like my aunt had tried to undermine them and their sacrifice, but she had not succeeded. I am not ashamed of my scars, Azriel." She took a deep breath and took his marked hands in her own equally blemished ones. "They are either trophies of a time where I prevailed or reminders of burdens that I must carry for the rest of my life and the next. And in either case, they are beautiful. You would do well to consider the same." It was that moment where Rhysand's spymaster saw the exact qualities that made Aelin a wonderful monarch.

Azriel nodded in response.

No one had ever called his scars beautiful.

Not even Mor.

***

Please vote/comment!

Hi there, reader!

I just want to say a HUGE thank you to all of your who have commented your thoughts and ideas about this fanfic. I actually had a pretty low opinion of my writing when I initially began posting The Cracks in the Universe, but your words of encouragement have started to turn that around. I could not be more grateful, you are the absolute best!

I was thinking of including Mor telling Azriel about her sexuality in one of the next few chapters, but I want to make sure it's done right and will do the characters justice. Is this something you guys want to read or is it best left to a more qualified writer? Let me know, I have a draft written out so you're welcome to ask to take a look before I post it.

- Ellie xxx