Chapter 6 - Manon

Manon realised that the initial warm welcome would not last, and she was proved right when their group was subsequently marched to some war-camp in the foothills of the mountains.

The male who had spoken to them was definitely Fae, his delicately pointed ears and exquisite features confirmed it. The others had taken her a little longer. She had first thought them to be human — attractive humans no doubt — but still human due to the rounded ears. Then she'd noticed the brutal, bat-like wings flaring out from their shoulders. Those had put an end to that theory. Their captors had offered no explanation as to who they were further than the brief introduction they'd been given.

None of them had tried to evade capture, each of them realising the futility of it. All of their weapons had been taken from them, and Manon had allowed herself to smirk as they were. Their captors clearly had no clue about what they could do without their weapons, or with those that had been conveniently tucked away within her gums and fingers.

Lysandra had managed to slink away at the start of their arrest, and the Witch Queen occasionally caught a glimpse of that distinctive, puffy tail disappearing behind a tent flap.

Finally, they were taken from the small tent where they had been kept to a larger building on the outskirts of the camp. The area surrounding it was swarming with soldiers, but inside looked mostly empty. Aelin strode in front of the group, her earlier outburst giving way to a deathly calm that Manon knew meant havoc was impending.

They found the 2 males who had greeted them in the main room of the building, joined by 2 stunning female Fae; a blonde with eyes like warm caramel, and a brassy haired one with piercing grey-blue eyes. They were also accompanied by another of the winged species.

Blue gemstones on the armour of the first winged male glowed faintly, while it was red ones that adorned the leathers of the second. Manon wondered if they were simply for decoration, or if they had a much more deadly purpose.

Violet eyes swept around the room, and the beautiful male stood as he spoke.

"Please allow us to formally introduce ourselves. I am Rhysand, High Lord of the Night Court. This is my High Lady and mate, Feyre." He took the hand of the auburn female, eyes softening slightly. He then gestured to the blonde, "This is my cousin, Morrigan. Cassian is the commander of my armies, and Azriel is my spymaster." Manon could see the tacticians brain behind the hazel eyes of the red soldier, and the blue soldier had almost completely melted into the shadows. No wonder he was responsible for gathering intelligence.

"Since I have been honest with you, I hope you will be honest with me," Rhysand continued, "Although I will mention that Feyre and myself are daemati - essentially mind-readers for the uninitiated, " A wry smile from his mate, "So I do possess other means to get the information I want. Azriel, I believe that Truth-Teller hasn't been getting much use lately?" The spymaster was now handling a vicious knife. The witch, and presumably everyone else, understood the threat. The Queen of Terrasen cleared her throat.

"Now now, pretty boy. That is not how you should speak in the presence of a lady. Well, six ladies to be precise." Manon's supernatural hearing noticed Dorian's heart skip a beat. This was not a time for a sass contest. "There's no need for it. I am Aelin Ashryver Galathynius, Queen of Terrasen. This is my husband, mate, and carranam, Prince Rowan Whitethorn. My cousin, Prince Aedion Ashryver, and Dorian Havilliard, King of Adarlan." Aelin opened her mouth to continue, but Manon shot her a glare. She would introduce herself.

"I am Manon Blackbeak, Queen of the Crochan and Ironteeth Witches." Elide looked as though she expected Manon to add her and Lorcan as well, but the witch was finished speaking.

"I am Elide Lochan, Lady of Perranth." Her chin jutted out proudly. "And this is Lorcan Salvaterre, an all round territorial Fae bastard."

Morrigan barked a laugh. "I like that one, it's good! I'll have to add that to my repertoire, alongside 'Insufferable Illyrian Males'." She glanced sidelong at the commander.

Confused glances flickered across the faces of the Erileans, but Rhysand ignored it and was instead looking at Manon intently.

"A witch," He mused, "They haven't existed in this world for centuries. Tell me, where are you from?"

"Erilea. It's... not in this universe. We came through a Wyrdgate - a portal -and it closed behind us. How did you find us in the middle of nowhere?" Manon narrowed her eyes.

"Ah." Rhysand nodded as if it all made sense. "That rather massive noise alerted my commander at this camp, who contacted me. Besides, your friend's lovely little fire display was enough to rile my magic from a hundred miles away. It was hard not to notice you. Who is this female you spoke of earlier that may be able to help you?"

"We don't know. All we were told is that she came into this world through a portal like ours, and has been stuck here for aeons. Why? Do you know her?"

The High Lord smiled knowingly at Feyre, and her eyes glittered with amusement. But it was the general who spoke.

"Well, you'd all better get ready for a little travelling." He snorted and turned to the spymaster. "Fifty gold pieces says Amren's going to skin us alive for bringing her visitors."

Manon thought Azriel smiled, although the shadows wreathing his face made his expressions difficult to read. "Make it one hundred."

Feyre looked ready to place a bet of her own, but her mate held up a hand.

"Before we leave, I have one other question. Where is the shifter?"

***

Hi there!

Just wanted to say that, while I obviously have the main structure of the storyline planned out, if any of you guys have some ideas/special requests then let me know and I'll see if I can weave it into the plot somehow!

Please vote/comment!

- Ellie