Wet, Dirty, Frustrated

Start from the beginning

He cleared his throat.

“-Oh god! I just heard it. That is not what I meant, I meant that usually when we meet, one of us ends up wet...” my eyes widened even further, “...someone please stop me.” I squeezed my eyes shut in frustration, before letting out a frustrated sigh. Peeling my eyes open, I braced myself for the usual reaction I got from people when I went off on a tangent. They were either annoyed or freaked out. He didn't seem to be either of the two, instead he seemed...amused?

“Well, if it makes you feel better, I love a girl who can leave me wet and dirty. The frustrated part...not so much,” he replied, a hint of smile curving his lips. “And as always; I was right. You're definitely the one.”

Wait.

What?

“Come again?” I chocked out, my stomach twisting into knots.

“I thought you would be perfect for this, now I'm just convinced.” I stared at him confused. What the hell was he going on about? When I didn't answer right away, he lifted an eyebrow. “Do you need to sit down? I know I don't really process things the way most people do, so let me know if I'm confusing you.”

“What?” I managed to get out around the lump that was growing in my throat.

“He doesn't do feelings is what he's trying to say. It's weird at first, but you get used to it after a while,” a second voice spoke up from the entrance of the garage. We both turned towards his brother, who stood leaning against the frame of the garage door, arms crossed over his chest, and legs crossed at the ankles. He'd somehow managed to get out of the car and walk over to the entrance of my driveway without either his brother or I noticing.

“Didn't I tell you to wait in the car?” Brayden asked his brother with a scowl.

Caden uncrossed his arms and walked further into the garage, giving his brother a glare, “I got bored and its hot in there. Besides, by the way things seemed to have been going in here, you should be thanking me that I didn't.”

“I was handling it,” Brayden replied, a frown on his face. “I was about to get her to agree.”

“Actually, you weren't,” I interjected.

He turned towards me, seeming almost shocked at my words. “I wasn't?” Huh, guess he actually was shocked.

“Wait, did you really think you were?” I asked, equally shocked. I turned towards his brother with raised eyebrows. When he grinned and shrugged, I turned back to Brayden to find him staring back at me with a puzzled look. I watched as he stared at me for a few seconds, the cogs in his brain obviously trying to figure out what I was thinking. I honestly didnt know how he was the one confused when he was the one creating the confusion in the first place.

“Mom has talked to you about this, remember?” Caden told his brother, turning towards him. I watched Brayden's shoulders tense, and his jaw clench for a second.

“Are you trying to get your ass kicked?” he replied through clenched teeth, and I instinctively took a step back at the anger in his eyes. I'd learned at a young age that that look meant to shut up, back away and retreat. The last time I'd ignored that look, I'd ended up in a hospital.

“Hey, don't piss in my cereal, I'm trying to help. Which I promised I wouldn't do because this is a stupid plan and you're gonna get caught,” Caden answered, a glare making it's way onto his face.

I felt my hands coil into tight fists at my sides, the thumping of my heart so loud, I could barely hear my own thoughts.

“I didn't ask for your help, now did I?” Brayden retorted, moving towards his brother threateningly.

“Please stop,” I heard the whispered words leave my lips, the ringing in my ears getting louder.

Their focus solely on each other, they missed the way I was slowly starting to slip back into old habits, the fear of being hurt quickly overpowering common sense, leaving only the need to survive.

When they remained staring at each other, neither willing to back down, I knew I had to remove myself from the situation or risk getting caught up in a losing battle. Taking a small step towards the door, I crossed my fingers they wouldn't notice me, unfortunately for all three of us, they did. I felt my heart stop in my chest, the walls came up and instinct kick in. Before I knew what I was doing, I had grabbed the small switchblade I kept in one of my pockets at all times, bringing it up in front of me in a defensive move. I watched their eyes widen as they both took a step back.

“Holy shit, mom's gonna love her, your stupid plan might actually work. Well, that is if she agrees. And then you have to convince the entire town that a chick this bad ass is into your sorry ass... On second thought, you're screwed,” Caden blurted out, excitedly. He was almost bouncing on the spot. He turned to his brother with a huge grin, before chuckling.

“Yeah, I know, shut the fuck up,” his brother mumbled back, his blue eyes darkening as he continued to stare at me. “Porter, do you wanna maybe put the knife down?”

I gulped, the realization of what I'd just done dawning on me. I had just pulled a fucking knife on the hurricane twins. I was screwed. If this town didn't think that I was my father's daughter before, they sure as hell would now. I'd screwed up and now my mom would pay for it.

Swallowing past the lump in my throat, I tried to slow down my racing heart, my palms starting to sweat. Screaming at my brain to lower the stupid knife. I was fine. I was at home. I was safe.

When it finally clicked in my brain that I wasn't in any real danger, I felt my cheeks flush, embarrassment and humiliation settling in like a deadly disease. I slowly lowered the switchblade and carefully placed it on the table next to me, my eyes never leaving the ground.

Letting out a shaky breath, I moved a step towards the door, “You guys should probably go home.” I gave them a quick glance, before shifting my eyes to their car behind them.

“But-” Caden began to protest, before his brother cut him off.

“Okay.” He grabbed his brother by the collar of his jacket and pulled him towards the driveway, before turning around at the entrance to the garage, “We'll talk later.” With that, I watched them get into their car, turn it on, back out and drive away. As they disappeared from sight, my racing heart began to slow down, and this time when I rubbed my hands on my overalls they remained dry.

Leaning against the wall for support, I slowly let my body slump to the ground, a groan leaving my lips.

What the hell had I gotten myself into?